• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipple Wrench for 1858 Remy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennis benedict

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 1858 Remy with the case harden frame and I can not get the nipples out with the nipple wrench that I have. I can get out the nipples of my colts but not the Remy's. Is there a special wrench for the Remys? Dennis.

Yes, and no. Some wrenches may work well for one gun and not for another. Heck I have 2 colts that the same same wrench don't work on. I have 2 different Remingtons that the same wrench don't work on. I have 13 BP revolver and about 8 wrenches. It all depends on the nipple, and gun manufacturer and wrench manufacturer. What I do if I don't have a wrech that fits my cylinder is to take the cylinder to my locl gun stores that sell BP accessories and tell the clerk what I need. When I find one that fits that wrench stays with that gun at all times.When that gun goes out on the range that wrench goes with it. When I take that gun to a civil war event the wrench goes with it. The only time is when I take out in the field the wrench stays in the safe in the spot the pistol belongs. Most wrenches only cost a few bucks anyway so why not have a dedicated wrench for each gun.

ditto PP but if you're not near a BP shop or gun shop that carrys BP supplys/parts you may have to make the wrench yourself, I have made them from 1/4" drive sockets but useing die grinder abrasive wheels to cut slots in the socket. slow and easy does it here.
you may have to soak the chambers good with a penetrating oil. WD will do it.

Check MSM for wrenches. I believe they make one specifically for the '58 Remmy. They manufacture them. I buy them at Dixon's in PA. Dixon's does mail-order even though they don't have an on-line catalog.

Dave

The one I use on my Remmy is just like the one the Possibilities Shop sells as stock # 53-1260.
It has a Necked down area to get into the nipple pocket and works well for me.
Stew

I purchased my nipple wrench from the Possible Shop on line. It is a ratchet job, stock #18-1124, made for cap and ball revolvers. It's solid steel and a perfect fit for my Pietta navy which uses 6X .75 nipples. I think it should work on your Remington as well.

Back