• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to me Harpers Ferry flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macman

1842 Harpers Ferry & 1795 Harpers Ferry .69 cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I am fortunate enough to have just received delivery of what was touted as an M1795 type II Harpers Ferry flint lock musket made in 1817. Type II because of the location of the bayonet lug on the top of the muzzle. It's in excellent condition as the pictures show. As the specs of the early muskets are vague I am interested in the forums opinion of the exact model that I have.

Also on scoping the barrel I've discovered what appears to be a seam that runs the full length of the barrel. Is this due to the manufacturing or is it a flaw that would cause a weakness that would prelude firing of the musket?

Lastly, you'll notice that there is no flint included on the cock. I've ordered several 7/8 x 1 inch French amber flints from TOW. They will not arrive until next week. Did I make the right selection?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 0
  • a.JPG
    a.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 0
It is a type IV based on the production date, location of the band springs, and what I assume is a nominally 42 inch barrel. I don't believe the groove in the barrel is the result of any defect in the manufacturing process. If it was, the barrel would have been rejected even if it managed to survive its proving.
If you are interested in American flintlock arms I would suggest you pick up a copy of George Moller's "American Military Shoulder Arms, volume II" or "US Military Flintlock Muskets and their Bayonets, volumes I and II" by Peter Schmidt.

Solid looking gun.

Thanks for the info. It is a 42 inch barrel so I'll assume a M1795 type IV.

Just ordered "US Military Flintlock Muskets and their Bayonets",Volume 1.

Last edited:
That's a nice musket in surprisingly excellent shape. I agree that the groove isn't a defect and won't cause any problems. Congratulations.

Latest posts

Back