• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Model Pocket .31 Caliber Steel Frame Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffc

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anybody own one of these Pistols? I was looking at it on cabela's and was curious to if this was a good quality Pistol. I own an 1851 confederate Navy and was looking to get me another Pistol but unsure as of yet what to get...
Like the looks of the New Model Pocket .31 but just looking for some input... Thanks..

Not sure exactly what that gun is, but I had the Colt .31 calibre "Baby Dragoon" once and it was a fun little gun. Or in other words the little .31's are neat little shooters.

Rat

The little steel frame Remingtons are pretty decent. I had to polish a few of the parts with a fine stone but now the action is very smooth. I have a friend that has shot his over a chrono with Black Mag 3 and is reporting about 900fps avg. That's a hot load for a .31 cal pistol with a 3 inch barrel.

I have the same model in a brass frame. Very smooth action. I like it so well that I bought one for my son for Christmas. Also made a fancy tooled holster for mine. It carry's so well you hardly even know it's there.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's the Uberti repro of the Colt Model 1849 pocket pistol.

Very nice little piece, and a good shooter. Mr. Sam made and sold more of these little companions than any other handgun he made (more than a quarter million). It worked so well that a couple of years later he made a "magnum" version of it... what we now consider the 1851 Colt Navy ;-)

Someone commented about the poor penetrating power, but at the close quarters for which they were designed (across the poker table, fer instance) they certainly get the job done while being easily concealed and convenient to carry.

:m2c:

I have an 1849 Pocket model and I like it just fine. I carried it on the trap line for a few years and up close and personal it did a good job on 'coons, foxes the rare coyote and such. Mine is the only percussion revolver I ever owned that shot to point of aim from the factory. They are handy little buggers!

Vic

The New Model Pocket Pistol is a little Remington that looks like a tiny little baby 1858 with a spur trigger in a protective sheath (no trigger guard). The trigger pops out of the front of the sheath when the gun is cocked.
They were smaller than the Colt Pocket pistols. They were 5 shot, .31 caliber.

The originals were made 1863-1873 Total production was around 25,000.
The First model was brass framed. The second model was steel framed with a brass trigger spur and the Third model was all steel.
Many of these old guns show evidence of nickle plating.

Barrel lengths available were 3, 3 1/2, 4 and 4 1/2 inch.

I haven't shot my brass frame one much.
IMO, it is one of the neatest little pistols around.

I've got one of the brass framed models. It fits pretty much any pocket. I think of it as a pocket .22 long equivalent. Loaded with the first chamber as a blank, using a wad to hold in the powder, it is an effective way to deter dogs while on a walk. It has a loud bark and the smoke seems to confuse them. Neat little plinker, too.

I have a Uberti Model 1847 Pocket Pistol in .31 calibre and it's quite well made with only a need for some minor tweaking here and there. The one you refer to is the Pietta Remington import ---that's the one that Cabela's sells--now this gun is a whole different ball game. I had to return two of them to Cabelas'---both were almost totaly inoperable and were so poorly assembled that there were tremendous scratch and tool marks down into the base metal.No cylinder timing in one and almost impossible to remove the cylinder to work on the guts of the gun. If you are willing to spend the time to get new parts and carefully fit these parts you can eventually get a fairly reliable gun. I personally do not own Pietta's and prefer to stick to Uberti or Armi revolver reproductions. :m2c:

I picked one up in a gun shop in Montana for $50 ! Great little plinker and cheap to shoot!

1849Colt.jpg

Hi,I bought one of these from cabelas as I owned one in brass before and liked it.I must have gotten a lemmon cause mine shot 3 feet high and to the right.I sold it and the guy that bought it from me had the loading lever break off on him and I dont know if it has ever been fixed.

Another neat little pocket gun is made by North American Arms. It's a mini .22 percussion revolver and it fires a 30 grain bullet over a tiny charge of ffffg, about 2.5 grains. Surprisingly loud bang and, with a little practice I can actually hit with it! You can hide one in your hand, and leave it loaded forever because it's made from stainless steel. Good tackle box gun and virtually unbreakable. It's a Dick Casull design and very good quality.

I too find the little Remington quite neat looking and at 15 ounces it is quite a bit lighter than the Colt .31's.
I debated long and hard and finally decided to just get a Ruger Bearcat .22, similar look, similar weight (in the old alloy frame) even cheaper to shoot and so easy to clean!
:kid:

Back