• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treg

32 Cal
Reaction score
From Western Massachusetts and new to muzzleloading. I was recently given an older CVA Kentucky rifle kit gun that I torn down, fixed and refinished. Took it to the range yesterday and fired a few shots and now I'm hooked. I appreciate this forum as it's a great source of info... Merry Christmas!

Attachments

• IMG_20231212_164704232.jpg
    IMG_20231212_164704232.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20231212_164735811_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231212_164735811_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231212_164647203.jpg
    IMG_20231212_164647203.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231212_164109771.jpg
    IMG_20231212_164109771.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Thanks for the welcome!

Question about this CVA Kentucky rifle.
I had a load that wouldn't fire... tried many caps and no luck. I read in here to remove the nipple clean and add powder to it and that worked. The ongoing issue is that my caps either don't fire on the first trigger pull or when they do go off the load doesn't fire. I'm using pyrodex and have read that it doesn't ignite as well as BP... could be one of my problems?
Also I need to give it a good cleaning...is water, swabbing and dry patches the way to go?
Thanks

Check the nipple make sure the top edge is straight and true use a nipple prick to make sure the nipple is open. Run a pipe cleaner into the bore and make sure it's clear of fouling. I clean with hot water . I remove the nipple submerge the but end of the barrel in very hot water run the squib in and out until i get most of the carbon out. Then i change water and do it again until my patches come out clean then oil.

thanks...I'm thinking you're right about the bore, it's probably gunked up. I had tested a few caps without a load when I first tried it out and it seemed as thought air was moving through well enough but I'll definitely give it a cleaning now.

And you may have bad caps may not hurt to try a different band . If you can get real BP It will give you a more reliable ignition

Latest posts

Back