• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New K-nives...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's been some time since I've posted any projects. With the event season approaching an end it's now back to it!

For awhile I've been meaning to re-handle an Old hickory slicer. The brass pins and scales are hideous IMO. While the blade itself is fabulous steel, cosmetically it to is also horrendous with the factory stamp marks.

Decided I'd give it a go today and give ole girl a facelift. Started by filing away the stamp marks. One could use a grinder or what not, but take the utmost care to watch your heat. I personally choose to file as the blade is thin as is, therefore I'm not concerned about rapid heat buildup and taking to much material away.

Stampings removed it was time to fashion up the elk stag for fitment. I ended up removing approximately 3/4" from the tang to accommodate the elk tine along with slightly bending the tang to shape, perfectly matching the contour of the tine.

I do cheat and use a slight amount of epoxy when pinning. Ruffed the tang end up for good adhesion and pinned everything together with iron pins. Wrapped the back end of the blade with elk rawhide and elk back strap sinew at the rear of the handle essentially for looks. Waterproofing added to the raw hide and sinew with my hide glue mixture.

Lastly I inlayed a hand engraved silver button that was my great grandmother's. Re-profiled the edge and got her back to hair shaving sharp! Very pleased with the transformation I must say!

I'm out of rawhide so a sheath and liner are next once I have more in hand. I've taken on quillwork so stay tuned for the quilled sheath.

Also whipped together a little neck dagger from an old file, forged to shape, heat treated and tempered pinned to a deer tine with one pin, also wrapped with elk sinew. Took on a wicked edge so this little guy should be very handy! Quilled sheath to follow!

lfl2ou2.jpg

N5bXBVb.jpg

h9I6rHv.jpg

In the images the sinew and rawhide are yellow, this is because the glue has not completely cured. Once cured it's almost invisible.

WXWxkTv.jpg

That's a couple of nice knives right there. Great work man. The color on those bad lads is awesome

I prefer to shy away from artificial again when I can... However, on high carbon steel I like to coat the blade with a very thin layer of regular yellow mustard.

Wash this off and it leaves a nice patina. I then follow up with multiple applications of a cold bluing agent rubbed back with 0000 steel wool.

IMO nothing replicates years of use and weathering!

I like what you did with the knives. I've redone a couple of my own.
I like the slicers blade shape. I need to get to work on the one I have.
after filing the hammer marks do you loose much thickness?

Latest posts

Back