• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Negativity towards Traditions guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The OP has to be wondering, where did my post go.

BBQ pits???????

Bud Light seems to have wandered in after 6 pages.

Last edited:
The OP has to be wondering, where did my post go.

BBQ pits???????

Bud Light seems to have wandered in after 6 pages.

I think we were boring down pretty good on the concept of ‘snobbery’, the culprit behind the OP.

...and Bud Light in the morning? Woof.

Last edited:
Aren't we all at heart ?
Flintlocks are just sexy.
Factory and import guns make muzzleloading accessible.
Custom guns make muzzleloading attractive.

Now I'm an old codger, and about 10 years ago I joined a rifle pistol club that has a muzzleloader shoot once in a while. I was just a few years into owning a flintlock, so I thought I would use that. I also own a TC Lock that my kids gave me for a kit when I turned 50. Both rifles are left-handed. Among the dozen shooters that are in the club, I was the first using a flintlock. The president also owned one and after the first year, started to bring his too. They were all quite curious about my flintlock and I shot about average or in the middle of the group for accuracy.I surely never tried to be important and we are all good friends. I personally knew four them Before I joined. They still shoot percussion and I do about half time, especially offhand. Some of those rifles they have cost twice what my flint lock Did, but we've never mentioned cost since I've been there. I hope all clubs can operate as good as this. I think about a third of them might use pyrodex. When one member passed away I held services for him. I'm sorry I didn't join 10 years sooner.
Squint

The most hostility that I've encountered on internet forums is directed against the Deerhunter that has a plastic stock.
Some have commented that a plastic stock has no business being on a "traditional"muzzle loader.
But its price is $80 - $90 less then the wood stock model which pays for many of the accessories needed for a newbie to get started shooting.
And if you look at the reviews of it on MidwayUSA, every one gives it a rating of 4 or 5 stars.
How many other companies offer a sidelock with a nitride or cerakote barrel?
Or a flintlock that has a camo stock, a fast twist or a removable breech plug?
Or an affordable Blunderbuss kit?
My plastic Deerhunter barrel is nickeled inside and out, and it's the slickest barrel of any gun that I've ever owned.
And it's also one of the cheapest, but it's loads of fun!
Just ask the young flintlock shooters in Pennsylvania which brand of muzzle loaders that they're buying for their flintlock only deer season.
Many young folks like black plastic stocks and raining on them is a way to alienate a generation of ML hunters and shooters, and many residents of a state that's flintlock friendly.
And Traditions makes kits that some youth are having fun building to get started in the BP hobby.

I've got one of them plastic stock bugers, And it really is a neat Rifle. You're right about the price and the ease of taking care of and is still a good percussion only weighing 5 3/4 pounds. It also happens to be a tradition

doggone it Griz, I've also got one of them blue pots and it does leave something to be desired but what else could we complain about?
squint

Blue enamelware is all the rage again. They even sell it at REI. I have quite a few reproduction pieces, and some originals. I also like the red and green ware.

doggone it Griz, I've also got one of them blue pots and it does leave something to be desired but what else could we complain about?
squint
My speckled pot has been in the fire enough that soot has concealed the speckles. Some can tell from the shape and how the bottom is attached that it is more modern. I also have a correctly built coffee pot. By the way, my coffee tastes the same whether it is poured from the tin pot or the speckled pot.

Now then, as to negativity towards shooters of Traditions Rifles, I am a member of a traditional muzzle loading gun club. We welcome those who want to join the club and it doesn't matter if the rifle is a well used Traditions Rifle or a multi thousand dollar custom rifle as long as the rifle is traditional side hammer, underhammer or side hammer. Some of our best shooters use factory rifles from T/C, CVA, Lyman, Invest Arms or Pedersoli et al. We want to encourage the sport as well as the history. I am not about to disparage the accuracy of a rifle with a Jukar barrel. I may remark about the quality of the flint locks, but I have seen some real fine shooting by people with an old CVA rifle.

When I reenact, one of the members of the unit requires a motorized chair to get around. He brings a lot of knowledge of history and experience. I know several people who need wheel chairs that go to Rendezvous. They are welcome. They may not be able to participate in the Woods Walks but they share in camaraderie and experience in the camp.

I guess I'm just missing something, I've yet to see any real snobbery. I've enjoyed most of the posts on this site and have learned a lot. Most people (myself included), start with what you can afford, whether it be golf, archery, or muzzleloader. If/when you find out you if have an interest (or not), you either "upgrade" or move on (golf was not for me). Most of the comments I've seen on this site about muzzleloaders were similar to what you'd see about any hobby - buy the best equipment you can afford and have fun... My planned upgrade is to a Kibler (or similar), but will keep and continue to shoot my GPR.

Respectfully, that thinking, though true in its basic sense, can be applied to anything at all (cars, clothes, houses) .....I can cook the same steak over a pile of coals on my concrete with a grate from my microwave and two cinder blocks as can be had in the finest restaurants..but do you want better slow cooking? Better use caste iron instead of plate. Want it to hold better heat and have more convection you better use a minimum of 1/4” iron. Want to cook two briskets and ribs at the same time for your big family on weekends? Plus burgers and dogs for the kids and chicken for your vegetarian niece? Want it all to be done at the same time? It better be big. Big? 1/4”? That’s heavy. Want to take it to the lake in the fall? Better be on wheels, or better yet a trailer if you go to the lake a lot. It’s not just a matter of money. It’s a matter of what you want to do and how well/easy you want to do it. The guy with the big BBQ setup may be a snob and just want to spend the money, or he may just do a lot of bbq-ing. And based on all the smoke I see at his house I bet he’s got every episode of Pitmasters DVRed.

I didn't know Vegetarians ate chicken ......

I just hope he doesn’t start shooting trap $3000 is a starter but as far as guns go I let my targets do the talking and I won’t say how many guns I’ve tried to buy to make my shooting better but my safe is full ... well room for maybe one more

I didn't know Vegetarians ate chicken ......
Most vegetarians are lacto-ovo vegetarians who sometimes eat chicken as well as eggs and milk. I thought. My niece is one anyway and occasionally eats chicken. So, part time meat eater? I don’t know. I’ve reached the end of my knowledge. They don’t teach that stuff (or Trap shooting) out here....

I have several customs, a pile of tc's, a lyman, and a couple of cva's. Both cva's started life as bobcats but are now stocked with wood. Both will shoot a cloverleaf at 25yds if I do my part.

Shoot what you want, what you have or what you can afford. I wish I had more time to shoot them all.

I dont own a Traditions rifle and don't see many around these parts. There must be some nice looking ones. Any pics of a favorite? I have some TCs and Lymans that are butt ugly and some that look like custom guns. Ok, semi-custom.

I dont own a Traditions rifle and don't see many around these parts. There must be some nice looking ones. Any pics of a favorite? I have some TCs and Lymans that are butt ugly and some that look like custom guns. Ok, semi-custom.
Here’s one

Attachments

• C4E7767B-5100-4747-9D24-7CA193212FF8.jpeg
    C4E7767B-5100-4747-9D24-7CA193212FF8.jpeg
    285.1 KB · Views: 85
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back