• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need info to function 45 cal cva Kentucky

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I inherited a cva .45 Kentucky, I know nothing more than that really. I am a reloaded for all things centerfire so I do understand weighing powder, bullet weights and so on, but I've got nearly zero knowledge in black powder, and I'm cursed with horrible hunting laws. Regulations state a .45 cal can be used as a legal method of take, but only with conical bullets. With loading for centerfire cartridges I naturally wonder about using bullets meant to load for .45acp, 44 magnum, 45 colt or anything similar in size simply because I'd rather shoot it as I would hunting to know the weapon. I have a pound of pyrodex although I dont know which type, and I'll still need percussion caps which I understand to be shotgun primers. Any suggestions will be heavily appreciated, I need to use this rifle next year hopefully. Thanks in advance!
Welcome from Hutto, Texas! I'm pretty green myself, and I'm constantly learning. The guys on these forums know a whole bunch about black powder. Just a word of advice, when you start shooting black powder, you'll find yourself leaving the modern guns at home 😉.

Sounds like mine
I love it and hunt with it when I feel nostalgic
She's got a 1:66" twist and shoots a patched roundball perectly with about 70 gr. of FFFg Goex
Kentucky rifle.JPG

You've got a jewel there, not well respected by the purists here but simple and effective!
Congratulations

Back in 1969 , I found one of these rifles like yours , standing in a used gun rack . Knew enough to check if it was loaded , so ran it's r/rod down the bore , and the rod quit 'bout half way down the barrel , and the r/r tip came out with black goo on it. The gun shop guy said he knew nothing about the m/l rifle. It looked new , so the asking price was $35 , figured I got nothin to loose , so there went a weeks lunch money . At home , I removed the .45 cal perc. barrel , and soaked the goo out of it , she cleaned up pretty good , like a pretty girl I once met at a saloon. Called my huntin buddy , and he loaned me some .440 r/b's , and patching. Knew that cal. rifle took FFFG , went to the range. No body was there but me and my new prize rifle. Shot a few patched balls off bench rest , into a 6 bull target at 35 yds. , and was pleased that it shot , and grouped , ok. Figured somebody bought the rifle and fired salute shots through it , until it got so fouled , it wouldn't fire . Still nobody came to the range , and looking at the open end of the range , there was the high powered rifle , full size running deer target hanging stationary on it's wire. Since the State just opened their new late season m/l deer hunt , in January , I had to see if the little .45 would carry out to the hanging deer target. Loaded her up , got a good rest and cranked a ball off at about 125 yds.. I was shocked , the .440 ball cut the deer target right where I aimed , in the heart lung area for a sure kill. I became excited to go deer hunting in the new m/l deer season , after seeing I could do this m/l shooting thing. Who knew what was happening , I quit shooting trap , my interest in modern rifles wained over time , and they became safe queens. I'm closing in on 60+ yrs. of m/loader fun , and still enjoy it immensely..................oldwood

Back