• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need ideas for a Flintlock primer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've learned a hell of a lot in the time I've been here and I've never heard of anyone else stating they use a measure to prime with. If thats how you like doing it, thats fine but thats not how I'll be priming. :v

Now lets get this thread back on track shall we?

Yup.
Mazo: you mention the difficult part of using a silver knife handle is getting the old blade out.

What is the best way to do that?

" I sincerely do not understand your rant"

I think it is what hapens at times if relitivly new members lead with their chin, before they are accustomed to the depth of this forum, and for some reson feel they are being told to do it another way, which no one has suggested here, only that they are in error over the safety issue.Some people do not care to hear that either but we all have to at times.

I don't understand your rant, either. As I indicated above, the very procedure for loading a flintlock tends to negate any chance that your priming powder will ignite as its being placed in the pan from ANY SOURCE.

COMMON SENSE dictates that NO ONE would pour priming powder onto a fire, or burning ember intentionally. Only a very dirty flash pan would have enough powder residue on it to carry an ember, and in any event, the ember would be giving off smoke to show its location.

The Reason we wipe the pan, and the bottom of the frizzen, and barrel around the TH is to get rid of the BP residue. The primary reason is to eliminate this "SPONGE" that sucks up water from the air, and quickly will foul the priming powder you put in the pan.

But, I guess a secondary reason for wiping off the pan residue is to make sure there is no ember or fire going there. I use a lightly dampened cleaning patch to wipe off the crud, so that moisture would also EXTINGUISH any ember that I might miss visually.

I use a dampened patch down the bore after EVERY SHOT, to clean the bore, clear the vent with forced air, and extinguish any embers in the barrel with the forced air, and the damp patch.

FOR ME, this IS a SAFETY ISSUE, more than a necessity before shooting a second shot.

If You want to lie awake at night worrying about every possible thing that might go wrong, and cause you injury, then I guess worrying about some ember igniting the powder in your priming horn is your huckleberry.

If you are a re-enactor, shooting lots of blank charges, without cleaning ANYTHING before the next charge is dumped into the barrel, You have cause for concern. But, those I have seen doing this kind of thing over the past 50 years do Not prime from any horn or tool at all: instead, they have a paper "cartridge", and following the Military Manual of Arms of the time, prime the pan FIRST, close the frizzen, and then pour the rest of the powder down the barrel, before stuffing the paper and ball/bullet down the barrel with a ramrod.

My BP gun club( Pioneer/buckskinner, ex-scouts) used to march in parades, and do shooting demonstrations in the area for small town centennials, etc. The Safety Rules we used at our club range applied to shooting demonstrations, with some extra rules added to deal with specific concerns at the site of the demonstration.

For parades, we disallowed the use of any Ramrod, or wadding. Just powder down the barrel. No balls or bullets carried in parade. Flintlock shooters were required to blow down their muzzles before putting the next load in. Most waited a minute or so before reloads to let any powder completely burn in the barrel before the next time we loaded. We took turns loading and firing the guns to save powder and to space out the noise along the parade route. PANS were wiped clean, as were the Nipples on Percussion guns.

There was NEVER any concern about an ember igniting powder poured from any source, whether it was from a powder horn, flask, or plunger tool. I have used all three kinds of powder sources over the years, under the conditions I have described, for parades.

My club did NOT DO battle Re-enactments, where people faced each other and fired blanks in the general direction of the opposing "force", as some of the more organized groups do. We simply were not that organized, nor drilled properly to make sure everyone was being "safe".

Personal safety around firearms is never just a "ONE THING YOU HAVE TO DO" deal. Its paying attention to a lot of details. I have met many people over the years who seem unable to concentrate on, and discipline themselves to follow safety rules, whether its driving a car, or engaging in other activities that involve a risk of injury. They simply have to stay away from those things. Thankfully, the total number of folks like that is relatively small in number. But, I have also seen new shooters like that who, with a lot of immediate, close supervision, have been trained to handle firearms safely, given the time to do so. It just took a lot more time to get it into their heads. :shocked2: :nono: :hmm: :hatsoff:

cal.43 said:
filler11114.jpg

I made that one

I'm a little afraid to ask what that's made of?..... :redface:

Looks like goat horn. They make a fine priming horn.

I have used a priming horn at times which throws a measured amount amount of 4 f powder. I am not sure that this matters much, but it was a convenience.

Skylinewatcher said:
Ok, everybody stop what you are all doing. We're all going to do things exactly like the way a few on here does it. These people are now the the ISO of ML shooting and if you do it different, you're stupid and don't know what you're doing. You will now start putting your clothes on the way they do it. You will adjust your auto mirrors the way theirs are adjusted. You will consume exactly the same amount of toilet paper that they do per week. You will rename your children and pets, and part your hair the same as theirs. Paint your house the same color. Do not offer suggestions, but do insist your way is the only way. Finally, you will not, under any circumstances, practice reading comprehension. I'm ready for my new life now....teach me. For the last time, I (for the whole of this post "I" refers to the poster, which is me) load my pan with a measure, not the priming horn, not the main horn, but from the measure, the measure, the measure. I (see definition of "I" above) Pour the powder from the horn into the measure, the measure, the measure. I then pour the powder into the pan, the pan, the pan, from, you got it, the measure. "I" do this, the OP doesn't have to and nobody else does either. The question was asked and I posted what "I" do. Not what everybody needs to do. Only what "I" do. If I ruined selfconfidences or upset you place in this world, maybe caused cats to start wedding dogs, I apologize. However, this evening "I" will prime my pan from a measure, a measure, a measure with powder poured from my horn and yes the sun will rise on the morrow. :grin:

...and you say that I'm riled and thin-skinned! :rotf:

Actually, now that you mention it skylinewatcher, maybe you have upset the universe. Just this morning I caught my female Jack Russel humping my male cat. :shocked2: Now I know why. THANKS!! :grin:

The only thing I would give you is that, that outburst was unnecessary, unwaranted, and uncalled for. I think you wasted your time and effort by writing and posting it. That mid-post only served to antagonize, and not to offer anything of a helpful nature of understanding any reasons as to, why. You may certainly do as you wish, when you wish, and how, but if you have some knowledge of a certain practice that promotes some unknown danger that others do not realize, then it may be helpful to give a valid explanation of what that danger is. Personally, I can brush your post off, as a simple rant that no one quite understands, but I would think this last post might have included at least a hint of an apology to the rest of the readers, rather than a feeble attempt at making a joke of it. Just so that you know why, any further personal business we may have had, is at best, on hold. I do not care to be included, but I feel an honest apology is due to the rest of the good people who responded to this thread. You do as you see fit.

Zonie said:
Yup.
Mazo: you mention the difficult part of using a silver knife handle is getting the old blade out.

The last couple I did I I placed the tip of the blade in a vise. Then I heat the blade pretty close to the handle with out touching it with the flame for few minutes then with gloved hand I twist and pull the handles of the blade . The ones I have removed the blade tang was set in pewter or something like it.
Twice

horner75 said:
cal.43 said:
filler11114.jpg

I made that one

I'm a little afraid to ask what that's made of?..... :redface:

I think a benefit of that primer is that it would be so easy to identify it by touch in a hunting pouch, and that it would be easy to grip/harder to drop when you get in a hurry and get the fumbles.

Don't worry about our business, and I shall not loose sleep either. I can find somebody else. No big deal. As for an apology, not going to happen I don't see where an apology is warranted to the people my post was aimed. I felt passionate about telling another person who stated he was new to flintlocks not to load any part of the gun directly from the main horn, still do. I felt my post was in fact an apologia regarding this act. Today people move so fast, parents park their children in front of the tv, video games and computers. People grab what info that jumps out at them. When I read where some of you were just priming the pan with the main horn and not clarifying that you don't do that with the guns main charge, I felt something should be said. I said it and I stand by it. There is not a man walking that I will bow to if I feel I'm right. Then you, Mr. Ellerbe, make light of my argument with your little mathmatical gaff, and then ask me for an apology, nope, thats not the way my stick floats. I saw some of your posts about blowing down the end of the gun not too long ago, I don't agree with that either, but I would not have posted such as you. If you will read back over the posts you will find I was only defending what I believe is a bad practice disrespecting the care of handling black powder. Just because some of you have never heard of the danger doesn't make it illegitimate. I do it my way and others do it theirs. Nobody on this forum is an expert on everything, contrary to what some think of themselves. I gave the man my thoughts on the danger of priming with the main horn, and others gave him their reasons as to why they don't think its a big deal. Great, its all settled, the man will make up his own mind and I for one will support his decision. I don't rant by the way, I just say what I feel needs saying. This is America where you have the right to freedom, but not the right not to be offended. :v

I was at a rondy last year and I got a chance to shoot my gun, I was happy because I normally have to sit at my traders table most of the time. I went to shoot and the officials were hell bent on safety... cool!! I do load my gun from a measure and I do prime my pan from the horn, I have not given much thought to this as it just worked for me. But I can see how it could become a bomb and kill or mame myself for sure and others around me. However when I was shooting the range dogs were not getting on me for this!!! they got on my case for not using my ear plugs and eye glass’s not one dam word about priming my pan from the horn.

As for MY ears and MY eyes MY problem!!! I will not sue anyone’s range for hurting myself. Why would the range dogs not care about a possible bomb, not even a harsh glance at me or any of us for doing this.

I WILL NOW USE A VERY SMALL PAN CHARGER

My two cents :)

Darrel

in Germany it is not allowed to load direkt from a horn/flask at the range. I would have no problem with loading and priming direkt from a horn if I would make only one shot but shooting at the range with 15 or more shots and other shooters near by it´s a security issue not to use a horn/flask. If you had been at a range and one shooter load his rifle with a powderflask and he made a fault or the flask didn´t work correct you won´t forget it.

Twice boom said:
Zonie said:
Yup.

The last couple I did I I placed the tip of the blade in a vise. Then I heat the blade pretty close to the handle with out touching it with the flame for few minutes then with gloved hand I twist and pull the handles of the blade . The ones I have removed the blade tang was set in pewter or something like it.
Twice
Zonie and Twice,now I just put the blade in my vise, close to the handle and just start to rock the handle back and forth, front to back and side to side. Just go easy at first so you don't break the tang off. Gradually the movement can be increased, as the handle loosens, until the handle can be pulled free. Some knives have a round tang and they are easier to work free.

Twice boom said:
Zonie said:
Yup.

Twice
I wish I had known that last year!! I tried it with my propane torch and darn if it doesn't work!! I sure could have saved a lot of time and frustration had I only tried heat. Thanks for sharing.

mazo kid said:
Twice boom said:
Zonie said:
Yup.

Twice
I wish I had known that last year!! I tried it with my propane torch and darn if it doesn't work!! I sure could have saved a lot of time and frustration had I only tried heat. Thanks for sharing.

Never doubt me . :rotf: :rotf:

I've got some stirling Silver table knife handles I removed the blades from,to melt and pour in to a mold. You might want to know even the silver plated knife handles are coated over What Appears to be German Silver.. :wink:
TB.

Back