• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help deciphering the data

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrydull

32 Cal.
Reaction score
You folks have been a great help to me. I'd like to ask for more opinions, if you don't mind.

I want to shoot a prb for accuracy and this the the data I have for the two rifles,

#1 - 54 cal, 33" barrel, 1:48, 7 lands, 7 groves, 0.006 deep, single trigger, 9.5 lbs

#2 - 54 cal, 32" barrel, 1:60, 5 lands, 5 groves, 0.01 deep, double trigger, 9 lbs

Just based on the data, can you suggest the one that would be more accurate? My head is kinda swimming with all the numbers.

Thanks!

Go with what Azmntman said. Slower twist is better for roundballs. You can even go slower than 1-60 and still shoot good but when you get into real, real slow twists, it takes more powder to stabilize better.

I like the slower twist and deeper rifling.

I think the 7 lands and grooves need some thought too. If the lands are slightly narrower than the grooves, there is opportunity for accuracy with a modest charge using a tight patch and ball combo. Use a spit or slightly damp oiled patch.

You will only know which rifle is most accurate by going to the targets and developing an accurate load.

Back