• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need a stock made for my musket.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sylvan

Haunter of forests.
Reaction score
I’m having a hard time finding someone to make a new stock for my trade musket.
I am not interested in repairing the current one. Nor am I interested in making one myself. I simply do not have the time.

I’ve tried to contact a couple of stock makers and no one is interested.

Does anybody know someone who specializes in this?

Sylvan
He is a very new newbie so he has made a misstep and doesn't know what to do about it. Or not.
I posted a couple of weeks back asking for the same advice and was totally ignored. So? Good luck.
John
That stinks. :/

try pecitona river. back in 2013 sent them a renagade stock to make a full length in maple for a 20ga turkey barrel i got from member here.

I apologize if I offended anybody some of us unfortunate lives never had a chance to finish high school I was smart enough to survive war it is true I want to be a member but if I have a hard time making it work I will resign from the Group again my apologies

I am not interested in repairing the current one. Nor am I interested in making one myself. I simply do not have the time.

Knowing more about your gun would help. Also your budget. Any details?

I apologize if I offended anybody some of us unfortunate lives never had a chance to finish high school I was smart enough to survive war it is true I want to be a member but if I have a hard time making it work I will resign from the Group again my apologies

Hi Twb,
You have no reason to apologize. If you are having trouble posting pictures, videos, or messages just ask for some help. We will help you.

dave

Knowing more about your gun would help. Also your budget. Any details?

its an old African trade musket. In great shape. I just want a new stock made and fitted. Also want the touchhole properly placed in line with the flash pan. The biggest issue with the stock for me honestly is the fact that over the years the wood has deteriorated where the pan meets the touch hole, some powder can get behind the action and I can’t have that. The stock is made of Beachwood. I want something that’s better and want more attention paid to the fitting of all the hardware.

It’s going to be hard to find a precarve stock off the shelf. Could order one with a small barrel channel and open it up. For a good builder to do this would cost you $1000 plus thecwood.

I had a Brown Bess that broke at the wrist during a rev war reenactment years ago. I restocked it using a Early Fowler stock from Pecatonica River. It had the ramrod hole and 3/4” barrel channel milled and that was all. It is a great option if you don’t need the gun to replicate a Bess.

The guys at Fort Chambers muzzleloaders have cut blanks but you'd have to do the inletting and finish work. They might have a line on a gun builder who'd do that kind of work for you but man, that's gotta be expensive and take a long time to do. You'd probably do well to send the whole gun when you find someone. I have a beautiful aft action percussion lock I'd like to use for a stock project but I just have sooo many other things going right now.

I had a Brown Bess that broke at the wrist during a rev war reenactment years ago. I restocked it using a Early Fowler stock from Pecatonica River. It had the ramrod hole and 3/4” barrel channel milled and that was all. It is a great option if you don’t need the gun to replicate a Bess.
I don’t need it to replicate anything. I just need the stock so I can start shooting it again.

it’s .93 caliber. So it doesn’t really look like anything.

Hi Twb,
You have no reason to apologize. If you are having trouble posting pictures, videos, or messages just ask for some help. We will help you.

dave
Thank you Dave I was trying to figure out how to get rid of all this until I seen your kind words when my wife gets up I’ll make a donation and I think it’ll help me a lot easier you know us newbies Lol

I second Pecatonica. Last year I sent them the plastic stock from a CVA Bobcat, asking for a copy but full stock. Sure, I had to finish and do some minor inletting, but it came out nice and didn't cost me a fortune. Give them a call and discuss what you need, and I'm sure they can help you.

~Kees~

Bobcat-B.JPG

Back