• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My New Swords

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First is an 18th Century short court sword.

18th Century Short Court Sword1.jpg

18th Century Short Court Sword2.jpg

The second is one I've always wanted, a 17th Century rapier.

17th Century Rapier1.jpg

17th Century Rapier2.jpg

Always thought the guys with rapiers looked like they were dancing.
I am no good at dancing.
I used to go full Viking, or Saxon, with sword and shield.
Interesting rapier. Have you noticed quite a few only have a few inches of edge?

I am no good at dancing.
Interesting rapier. Have you noticed quite a few only have a few inches of edge?
Rapiers like foils are primarily a stabbing weapon. As for "dancing", yeah pretty much so, I took fencing in college, try fencing if you want to try something that will get you in shape in a hurry..............

I am no good at dancing.
I've been told it's only the 3 inches at the tip of the blade that counts. Watching slim wiry guys practice on each other with foils, I can see where the term 'Swiss cheese' comes from. Hack and slash seems obsolete in the face of such action. I'm old and fat and never was very fast, so I better stick to ranged weapons LOL! Bravo to those keep these old arts alive.

I've been told it's only the 3 inches at the tip of the blade that counts. Watching slim wiry guys practice on each other with foils, I can see where the term 'Swiss cheese' comes from. Hack and slash seems obsolete in the face of such action. I'm old and fat and never was very fast, so I better stick to ranged weapons LOL! Bravo to those keep these old arts alive.
Heck I can't even comfortably get into the basic fencing position any more what with not so great knees, back, etc not to mention all the extra weight I'm carrying and the fact both my rotator cuffs have been torn so many times they've completely split apart and are non-reparable. Still I try.......

First is an 18th Century short court sword.

The second is one I've always wanted, a 17th Century rapier.

Interestingly designed small sword. Not sure I've ever seen one where the diamond front end transitioned to a flatter rear, but still having raised ridges for added strength. That must have been a real bear to harden/temper correctly.

Rapiers are neat swords, no doubt, but were also extremely deadly in the hands of a well trained swordsman.

Are those blades "combat worthy?"

Gus

Think ROB ROY a good broad sword and sheer brutality, split stem to stern game over.

Well..... as much as I admire the Claidheamh Mòr (Scottish Basket Hilt Broadsword commonly called a "Claymore"), it was not a good sword with which to go up against a rapier. A Scot armed with one would have also needed a good Targe (shield) or he would not have stood much of a chance against a rapier.

Though I realize it was a movie, the 1995 movie "Rob Roy" sword fight scene showed this very well. Liam Nelson as Rob Roy only won the fight because his opponent got way overconfident.

Gus

Interestingly designed small sword. Not sure I've ever seen one where the diamond front end transitioned to a flatter rear, but still having raised ridges for added strength. That must have been a real bear to harden/temper correctly.

Rapiers are neat swords, no doubt, but were also extremely deadly in the hands of a well trained swordsman.

Are those blades "combat worthy?"

Gus
They're not sharp but could be sharpened. I was trained on a foil, the rapier is much more heavy but with practice I could use it somewhat effectively. Also have to first strengthen muscles to compensate for my torn and separated rotator cuffs......... Any outside movement with the sword is painful and weak besides with my knees just getting into a propper fighting stance is uncomfortable. This gettin' old stuff is for the birds.........

Back in the mid 1980's, my UnCivil War reenactment unit participated in a sort of historical faire through the ages. There was a small band of 17th century folks and two of them fought very well with blunted rapiers. Then their leader, who was obviously well trained in that sword, challenged all comers.

I never had any formal sword fencing training and was armed with a Model 1850 Foot Officer's sword, a real one, BTW. I had assembled it from an original late 19th century blade and original sword and scabbard parts. The blade was combat worthy, but I did not sharpen it because I used it in reenactments. I did practice from the sword manual for that sword, though.

I didn't accept the challenge because the guy with the rapier was so good, and my sword was much heavier and a fair bit shorter. Further, he was dressed in period clothing that much better suited to a sword fight.

Finally the lady in charge of Tourism for the city asked me to do it for pictures for the newspaper and tourism. I jokingly asked if she wanted to see me run through, as it would not be a fair contest. Long story short, I agreed to do it for her and the Tourism Board. (She was a good friend to our unit.)

First match, he ran me through in no time flat. Second match, I lasted a bit longer, but still went down fast. Third match, I "cheated" a bit by grabbing his blade in my period leather gauntlet with my left hand and got close enough to hit him in the face with the D Guard of my sword, though I stopped the blow well short of his face. Fourth match, I got a little further away, shrugged my shoulders, moved my sword to my left hand and drew my Colt Navy with my right hand. Then I did a poor imitation of Raiders of the Lost Ark where he shot the guy with the big sword, by cocking and pulling the trigger on the empty revolver. With a 2 to 2 "tie," I decided that was more than enough for me. Grin.

THEN the other guy did a demonstration of using TWO Rapiers, one in each hand, to go up against another guy in his group. I was really impressed.

Gus

Back in the mid 1980's, my UnCivil War reenactment unit participated in a sort of historical faire through the ages. There was a small band of 17th century folks and two of them fought very well with blunted rapiers. Then their leader, who was obviously well trained in that sword, challenged all comers.

I never had any sword fencing training and was armed with a Model 1850 Foot Officer's sword, a real one, BTW. I had assembled it from an original late 19th century blade and original sword and scabbard parts. The blade was combat worthy, but I did not sharpen it because I used it in reenactments.

I didn't accept the challenge because the guy with the rapier was so good, and my sword was much heavier and a fair bit shorter. Further, he was dressed in period clothing that much better suited to a sword fight.

Finally the lady in charge of Tourism for the city asked me to do it for pictures for the newspaper and tourism. I jokingly asked if she wanted to see me run through, as it would not be a fair contest. Long story short, I agreed to do it for her and the Tourism Board. (She was a good friend to our unit.)

First match, he ran me through in no time flat. Second match, I lasted a bit longer, but still went down fast. Third match, I "cheated" a bit by grabbing his blade in my period leather gauntlet with my left hand and got close enough to hit him in the face with the D Guard of my sword, though I stopped the blow well short of his face. Fourth match, I got a little further away, shrugged my shoulders, moved my sword to my left hand and drew my Colt Navy with my right hand. Then I did a poor imitation of Raiders of the Lost Ark where he shot the guy with the big sword, by cocking and pulling the trigger on the empty revolver. With a 2 to 2 "tie," I decided that was more than enough for me. Grin.

THEN the other guy did a demonstration of using TWO Rapiers, one in each hand, to go up against another guy in his group. I was really impressed.

Gus
These are primarily inexpensive show (reenactment/living history) swords. The balance on the rapier is point heavy it would need more weight on the pommel to even it out. True fighting swords will run into the hundreds of dollars.

They're not sharp but could be sharpened. I was trained on a foil, the rapier is much more heavy but with practice I could use it somewhat effectively. Also have to first strengthen muscles to compensate for my torn and separated rotator cuffs......... Any outside movement with the sword is painful and weak besides with my knees just getting into a propper fighting stance is uncomfortable. This gettin' old stuff is for the birds.........

Am I mistaken in thinking in modern fencing terms, the term "saber fencing" means with a rapier?

I know full well the difference in a real saber, so I'm not referring to that, btw. I've collected 18th and 19th century swords for some time and have quite an extensive number of books on swords.

Gus

These are primarily inexpensive show (reenactment/living history) swords. The balance on the rapier is point heavy it would need more weight on the pommel to even it out. True fighting swords will run into the hundreds of dollars.

Or much more than that.

Gus

Latest posts

Back