• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My little .54 custom hunting rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E Poffinbarger

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Yes, that is a T/C trigger guard on a vintage Sile tiger stripe stock, Cabela's .54 barrel 1:56ROT, Invesarms lock and double set trigger, unknown brand hooded front sight, very old Wollensak scope on custom made see-through blocks along with a custom leather sling.
Gun54c.jpg

Today, I conducted my final pre-season accuracy test again confirming its ready to hunt KY deer(October), MO deer(November) and MS wild hogs(December).

Now I realize it isn't historically correct for any early era and to some it might even be considered ugly, but to me it is utterly beautiful, since from 0-150 yards it has never let me down.

Osage

Gee bud i like that smoker, nice looking rifle.
Bye the way is that your home, if so you luck
son of a gun. :bow: :thumbsup:

Yes its home, with 1/4mile driveway and house that can't be seen from the road. There's another pasture on behind the (rifle)treeline and in 21 days me and "Thunderball" are gonna go huntin'.

Osage

Osage said:
Yes its home, with 1/4mile driveway and house that can't be seen from the road. There's another pasture on behind the (rifle)treeline and in 21 days me and "Thunderball" are gonna go huntin'.

Osage
Well thats just fine and dandy. :hatsoff:

Don't worry about PC. I'd rather see your rifle to any of the in*****'s any day. Nice job putting the rifle together. Does Cabelas sell barrels? The twist rate sounds nice. Let us know what load combination it likes.

I don't think it's ugly at all. I think it's very nice looking. How did you attatch the sling swivil to the front? I'd like to put a sling on my Hawken but I can't figure out how to do what you did :bow: That scope is very cool.

I love the look of those old style scopes. What power? I'm assuming 4x?

That's a great looking rifle.

i like the custom mounts can you post some close ups ,nice job thanks for posting

Thanks Guys, its actually been a labor of love over a period of years.

Originally it was a Sile .58 with a "trash" barrel, then after numerous Ebay purchases/sells(back when you could) I finally had all the pieces. The old Wollensak 1899 Ranger 4X scope the most recent addition due to fading eyesight, the see-through blocks I made from a short section of 5/8" square steel stock. Unfortunately I forgot where I got the sling studded thimble from, the other is just the basic srew-in type. I think the engraved lock and trigger set are Cabela's but I'm not sure. The ramrod is a Wonderrod blank with drilled, tapped and pinned .38special casings

As stated other posts, it was the final completion and accuracy of this rifle that led to the selling of my Lyman GPR-H .54.

Osage

Oops, I forgot to answer a couple of questions:

I don't know if Cabela's sells barrels, however Lyman does, but I don't think in 1:56ROT.

My deer load is 70grs of 777, .015 lubed patch behind a .535 ball and a CCI Mag #11 cap.

My hog load is 90grs of Pyrodex Select 2FF behind a 425gr, .542, thick skirted, hollow base, very pointed, CSA style minnie.

Note: 777 is much hotter than Pyrodex, which causes the bullet to skip the rifling.

Hope this helps,
Osage

Sorry, fellows I can't seem to find the original posting, "it moved", I guess I did something wrong.

I think there was another question that I neglected to answer, but I can't remember, sorry.

Osage

Any chance of posting the pictures of your rifle again? It seems they aren't available on the thread now and I would love to see them.

Congratulations on making your firestick into just exactly what you want it to be..

Back