• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My First Tom

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebel

Cannon
Reaction score
Well, i got my first ever Wild Turkey this evening about 4:30. I would like to tell how i set up and using all my non-existant calling skills, lured the wiley Tom into range of my Navy Arms double barrel .12 ga which has cylinder bore barrels, and was loaded with 95 gr of powder and 1 3/8 oz of #5 lead shot. Alas, such is not the case. I left home at 4:10 and pulled into the area i had permission to hunt at about 4:25. As i pulled in i saw a hen and a Tom. I parked, got out and capped both barrels, and using what cover was available, stalked to within about 20 yds of them. As i stuck my head around the last of the cover, the Tom stretched out his neck to gobble. As he did i fired the left barrel. He dropped like he had been hit by a bolt of lightening. Was back home by 4:50. He weighed about 16 lbs. Not as good a hunting story as Captchee, but i was just happy to have got my first ever Wild Turkey. ::

Congratulations!! That first one is always special. And you got it with a muzzleloader. Don't diminish your accomplishment. Stalking to within 20 yards is quite a feat in itself. He will taste extra good because you got him.

Hey Rebel: Good on ya! You're one turkey ahead of me. I was out callign this weekend and never heard a gobble. Think I was too high -- about 3500-4000 feet. Oh well, finding a mess of morel mushrooms made the pain of failure easier to take!

That's fantastic Rebel...congratulations!!
Heck of a story/memory for your first turkey too...
:redthumb:

Killed my first one about 20 minutes after daylight.

Shoot this is easy.

THREE years later I got my second one.

Ya gotta love the big bird. :results:

Congrats on your first bird, aren't they amazing!? :front:

GOOD FOR YOU. Now the next couple will drive you to drinking! :haha:

Way to go!!! Course now you are hooked!! Next thing you know yo'll have one of everything made to call turkeys and none of them will work, so back to the basics(how would I know this).

Othern

Yep, i never got to use my four homemade bamboo(wingbone imitation) calls, and the homemade slate call. Ohh well, maybe next one. ::

Thanks. Only a 40 min. hunt from home to home, and part of that was talking to the landowner that let me hunt and thanking him and telling him that if he needed any help around his place, to just give me a call. Told him that was the least i could do for him letting me hunt.

Congratulations Rebel! I'd say you really did kill him in a traditional style. I'll bet most 18th - 19th C. turkeys were sneaked-up on, not called. Great going!! :thumbsup:

Have a friend whose hunting buddy set up a scarecrow in a blind pointing a broomstick near a spot where the local birds like to troop into the field. He plans to take the place of the scarecrow, dressed in the same shirt, to whack his bird. (Did I get that right, Dread?)

Dread. yep, that sounds like a DREAD idea. :: Actually, if you know Dread, you would understand that the turkeys won't know the difference. :crackup: :crackup: Sorry Dread, just joshin' ya. Hope to get down your way for another visit soon. Take care.

Captchee, well now i have some real Wild Turkey wingbones to try to make a call out of, although the bamboo ones i made seem to sound ok. I spent the first day i was out calling back and forth to a Tom for nearly an hour, but he just wouldn't come in. But a least he was answering, so the calls must sound somewhat alright.

uncletom.jpg

A little bird told me it looked like this.

:front:

Good job!

great job reb :hatsoff: :front:
being one of the few bow hunters in my area to get an arrow into a tom ,sneaking up on one is a pretty nifty feat.
that takes just as much skill as calling one up and staying hid so dont sell yerself short :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :front: :front: :applause: :applause: :master: :master:

Back