• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader Sling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sproulman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i am looking at buying a sling that goes over butt and connects without swivels.

anyone have suggestions on where to get one at good price and is there a difference in them.

i will be using it for hunting deer.thanks

Here's a couple of photo's of the sling I made and use...pretty simple to make and use

SLING2.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

very nice indeed, congrats.

i am looking for one that goes around butt, i just feel better that its on gun secure that way.

Here is a thought. You can get a Mosin Nagant sling for cheap and put the dog collar around the barrel and the other through the trigger guard. Would work fine.

HPIM1005.jpg

I have one that used to be marketed by T/C and a copy I made that's slightly different. It's pretty simple. A three foot by 2" leather strap with a slit on the butt end and a "shunt" piece sewn across as wide as the butt plus two inches. The top is a 6" lengthwise slit that nas the two resulting ends spliced back together with a 1/2" overlap. You can loop it around the barrel or around the rammer between thimbles.

doc holiday said:
Oklahoma leather products----- Lace on leather sling $14.99

thanks all, i ordered this one and a leather rifle case,that looked real neat and no shipping charges.

i hate that 9/12 dollar shipping on things now, i wont pay it.

Stumpy!

You forgot to take the leash off that doe before taking the picture. :doh: :rotf: :rotf:

doc holiday said:
Oklahoma leather products----- Lace on leather sling $14.99

I have one of those but have never put it on a rifle. How good do they work?

HD

Check out the lace up slings at October Country or The Possibles Shop. Ive been using one for 2 seasons and like it. Its about 25 bucks.

i did, thanks but it was 10 dollars more and you pay for shipping.

oklahoma was free shipping, 14 dollars and i liked their leather gun case, that caught my eye, i had to have it....... :haha:

I use a lace-on sling, but I am afraid I don't recall where I bought it. I would like to pass on a suggestion, though. I replaced the leather laces with elastic shoe strings. They hold the sling on securely, but stretch enough so that you can remove the sling from the butt without untieing the laces. Works for me.

One critical measure for lace-on slings is sight height. I've got a couple of MLs with low sights, and the lace-ons completely block the sight line. My rule of thumb is if the front sight is lower than .500, fuggedaboudit.

Just remember the suede can trap moisture and cause rust where it wraps around the barrel. Got some small patches of rust when I stored the gun in a case in my truck during this hunting season.

BrownBear said:
One critical measure for lace-on slings is sight height. I've got a couple of MLs with low sights, and the lace-ons completely block the sight line. My rule of thumb is if the front sight is lower than .500, fuggedaboudit.

This is the reason why I do not use a sling on a day to day basis. I do carry one ( The LeatherMan Jute and leather universal), but I keep it rolled up in a pack or pocket while hunting. If I need to drag a deer or carry a turkey, out it comes.

Same here on most of my rifles. If I'm going long distances or in rough country requiring two hands for scrabbling, I pick one of the rifles outfitted with slings. Otherwise, it's bare rifles with a sling in my pocket.

Actually, even with those rigged for slings, I take off the sling while I'm actually hunting rather than traveling.

we were raised on slings.

one i use now ,we wrap it around my arm to take a standing shot on deer withot leaning on tree as at most of time, a tree is not near while walking.

sling will steady your shot.

but i dont like the sling i have, it comes right off like a belt.

i like one that goes around your butt of your muzz,it does not slip off butt.

nice walking out of woods after long day in treestand to carry it on your shoulders.

yes, if you get deer, its nice on shoulder.

i just dont trust one i have now,it is a sling that is not secured around butt as well as i would like it.

but for hunting, having sling to wrap my left arm around is great thing from sitting in treestand where you have nothing to hold you steady on shot and walking out too.

I will not be without a sling anymore. I have a lace on style, with a quick detatch up front clamped onto th ramrod guide.

Back