• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader shipping boxes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check on line for cardboard container companies, they should show what type of boxes they offer. For shipping longer Penn/Ky. type rifles, you may have to modify a couple of standard rifle boxes to work. HTH

Tom

I just picked one up that was shipped to me in a homemade box of 1X4 cheap pine and malomeen (cheap 1/4 plywood, could prob substitute Luann)screwed together. Guy claimed he got a gun shipped in it, and just reused the box. Especially If your going to make a few, cost would prob be abt $10 per box If not less. Cheap insurance the way I see it, and By far the best packing/shipping method I've seen yet.

I've used TOW's cardboard shipping containers w/o any problems. They're not cheap, but eliminate constructing from raw mat'ls. If I remember correctly, they cost about $60 including shipping. Ordered 3 and have one left......Fred

I use a very heavy wood box I built years ago. The buyer promises to return the box and I've never had a problem getting it back. I've probably shipped 25 or more guns in it over the years without any damage.

The Great Wal generally restocks about bed time. You can get to pick and choose between lots of free cardboard. And the left overs are free targets!

IMHO, cardboard is very risky. I have seen what was a very stout cardboard rifle box received and the contents damaged from bending. The shipping companies have no mercy.
I simply use a Kolpin plastic gun case and enclose money to get it shipped back if the recepient is not responsible for paying the return. I could make from wood but the weight goes up as does the shipping cost.

I made one out of stiff cardboard a Pressure washer came in. Cut a sheet of Insulation Styrofoam to fit the bottom, put the Charleville in, cut pieces of Styro to fit around it, and put another sheet on top. I was sweatin' Bullets, but Gun made 2 trips to Dixie in Tennessee & back and never got a scratch.

When sending Barrels I use 4" PVC Pipe.

Eric

I make my own from 4x8 styrofoam sheets and thin plywood and a good supply of duct tape! The foam cuts eassily to make a "pocket" You don't have to cut an exact pocket, just make sure it is large enough and stuff any gaps with trimmings you cut out.The thin plywood will protect the foam which protects the rifle.I can get four or more cases from one sheet of foam and one sheet of plywood. :idunno:

I received a long gun packaged in a unique way. The rifle was in a cheap gun sock and wrapped in a painters drop cloth. Then it was in a sturdy homemade cardboard box that the shipper filled the whole thing with spray insulation that expands. You can get the insulation at any home improvement store. Ups tried to destroy it but couldn't.

Rifleman1776 said:
IMHO, cardboard is very risky. I have seen what was a very stout cardboard rifle box received and the contents damaged from bending. The shipping companies have no mercy.
I simply use a Kolpin plastic gun case and enclose money to get it shipped back if the recepient is not responsible for paying the return. I could make from wood but the weight goes up as does the shipping cost.

I am with you. I have seen Fedex and Canada Posts handling of packages, not to mention what I have seen airport baggage handlers do. Lots of methods work, but a Koplin or my favourite, Pelican, single long case is great insurance for expensive rifles you want to ensure show up in pristine condition. The $30 cost to return ship these is pretty small compared to what repairing a damaged rifle can work out to.

bpd303 said:
I received a long gun packaged in a unique way. The rifle was in a cheap gun sock and wrapped in a painters drop cloth. Then it was in a sturdy homemade cardboard box that the shipper filled the whole thing with spray insulation that expands. You can get the insulation at any home improvement store. Ups tried to destroy it but couldn't.

Awesome!

I prefer to ship all guns in at least a plastic case inside the box. I bought a Luftwaffe-marked K98 walnut stock back in 2005 BUT the post office BROKE IT IN HALF. It was in a cardboard box. It was insured so I got my money back, but that was a terrible loss.

Greg

Back