• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Musket buttplate with no screw in top extension

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich pierce

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Sometimes original muskets and fowling pieces have an elongated top extension but no screw holding it down. I have done this by pinning through the buttstock and through a tab on the underside of the top buttplate extension. On my current project, a Fainot fowling piece, I needed to use another technique because there is no sign of a through and through pin on Fainot fowling pieces. This technique can only work when the top extension can be slid forward. Not for complex shapes that do not taper forward.

Here is the Reeves Goehring buttplate with the tab cast in place already. You can see I filed a slot in the tab. This engages a square nail driven into the tab inlet in the top extension inlet. As the top extension is driven forward, the tab pulls the extension down because the slot is slanted.

This is the first time I've used this technique. Many of you may know it already. I will definitely use it again.

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

I used that method once years ago on an English style smoothie. Worked out very well. I just silver brazed a piece on underneath the extension, that went into an angled hole.

Hi Rich,
That is the same plate I used on my recent fowler. Nice soft yellow brass. Easy to work. I like the peg idea but have not used it on anything yet. Nicely done.

dave

Back