• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

mule ear muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowfish

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, my father remembers the custom Dale Storey mule ear guns. He would like a custom mule ear gun built is there anyone out there that will build one or still does offer a custom mule ear?

Don't know for sure, but I suspect any of the custom BP makers could make one. Muzzleblasts had a beautiful custom muley on the front cover some time last year. I would just find a custom BP rifle maker and ask. I've never made one, but want to for my next project. From the info I have gathered, 97% of the work is the same whether its a sidelock or muley.

rayb,

I have one of Bernie's mule ear locks in my Lyman Great Plains Rifle.

The lock works flawlessly.
Ignition is very fast.

Keep in mind. No half-cock "safety" with a mule ear lock.

I am curious, Dutch, how the new nipple set up is configured on the GPR with the muley lock... a photo and a few explanations would be nice for those of us eager for knowledge :D What mods, if any, do you have to do to the barrel or breech? :hmm:

Old40Rod,

The new mule ear lock just about dropped right into the GPR lock cavity. I had to remove just a bit of wood from a few spots to get it in just right.

You unscrew the Lyman vent liner. The new nipple screws into the hole that previously held the vent liner.

Bernie gives you a brass flash cup that goes under the nipple. This closes any gaps between the wood and the lock. Since I polished the mule ear lock I elected to use a steel flash cup under the nipple. The flash cup then blends right in with the lock.
I used a dremel tool to shape the flash cup edges to match up with the lock plate.

Aha, very good explanation, thank you. Do you have to tap the clean out for the nipple to fit? How to you plug up the original nipple hole?

As Bill has mentioned, Bernie at Pioneer Arms has a super mule ear set-up for the TC Hawken - Lyman GPR. I took Bill's advice a couple of year's ago and purchased the lock to put into a Lyman GPR flinter. Very similar in style to Storey's muley but Bernie has added his own stylistic stamp to the lock which I find attractive and period correct. Really transformed the rifle into a unique piece and I am very happy with it. Looks great and makes for a very fast ignition. Just be aware that there's no safety on the lock. I'd also like to say that Dutch Bill's word on something is much respected here, and I'm grateful for his sharing a wealth of info he's acquired over the years.
Bob

Back