• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Model 37 Trade Gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Or maybe I should call it a truck gun since I don't have a canoe anymore. I had a barrel from a Winchester model 37 single shot that I had no use for and a friend gave me the old Siler lock and the buttplate. I have around $130 in the thing and it was a fun project. It weighs right at 5 lbs and is a delight to handle. Now I just wish the rabbit and quail populations here in Southern Arizona will rebound soon.

IMG_2398.jpg
IMG_2396.jpg

Interesting. Did you make or buy breech plug? I have an old Hopkins&Allen barrel I am thinking of a project with. Tell me more.
Dave
I bought the breach plug and had a friend install it since I no longer have a lathe. I cut the chamber end off to get rid of it but in hindsight we probably could have put a liner in it and gained 2 3/4" of barrel length. The barrel on this one is 24 1/2". I bought a cheap expansion reamer from Grainger to ream out the full choke. It worked like you'd expect a cheap reamer to work, not very well but I did manage to get most of the choke out. I left .004" to see how it would work.

CK

I laid it gently on the stones. However I already put a ding in it at the range. I'm not going to do like some of us did back in the 70's and "antique" our rifles. Alcohol was involved of course.
I've wanted a type of trade gun for years and finally got around to it. It's the only muzzle loading shotgun I've used and I have a lot to figure out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back