• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Model 1733 French Dragoon Flintlock Pistol finished

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finished the M1733 French Dragoon pistol kit that I started several weeks ago. I am happy with how it turned out and I think I will really enjoy shooting this gun :)
I am going to just use a Linseed Oil finish on it since I like the feel of the Walnut in my hand.
As you can see in the photos, the pistol is really long! But I am surprised at how well it balances when I point it. I think the swell of the pommel adds a great bit of leverage and support to the gun and it's 15.5" long barrel.
It will be a few days before the BLO finish is really dry, and then I will have the opportunity I have always wanted- to shoot my own horse pistol. All ready with a good supply of round ball and shot :thumb:
1640554761862.jpeg

1640554790061.jpeg

1640554811825.jpeg

1640554837568.jpeg

1640554877739.jpeg

1640554901761.jpeg

1640554956573.jpeg

:)

I finished the M1733 French Dragoon pistol kit that I started several weeks ago. I am happy with how it turned out and I think I will really enjoy shooting this gun :)
I am going to just use a Linseed Oil finish on it since I like the feel of the Walnut in my hand.
As you can see in the photos, the pistol is really long! But I am surprised at how well it balances when I point it. I think the swell of the pommel adds a great bit of leverage and support to the gun and it's 15.5" long barrel.
It will be a few days before the BLO finish is really dry, and then I will have the opportunity I have always wanted- to shoot my own horse pistol. All ready with a good supply of round ball and shot :thumb:
View attachment 111409
View attachment 111410
View attachment 111411
View attachment 111412
View attachment 111413
View attachment 111414
View attachment 111415

:)
sweet, like the bottom of the grip too.

I know that I'm late to the party on this, and the build thread. But, I'm about to start my own French Dragoon kit. You've been a wealth of knowledge.

Have you given thought to a thumb plate, I believe they're called? The one example I've seen doesn't have one, but I'm considering it, just to make it a little more my own.

I know that I'm late to the party on this, and the build thread. But, I'm about to start my own French Dragoon kit. You've been a wealth of knowledge.

Have you given thought to a thumb plate, I believe they're called? The one example I've seen doesn't have one, but I'm considering it, just to make it a little more my own.
A thumb piece would look great on this pistol . MBS has some French ones that Would be sweet on it.

My only concern would be if one needed engraving. I'm worried enough about my skills just to build the pistol!

ETA: OH yeah, you're right. There's one that is just amazing.

Back