• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moccasins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Ol Gobbler

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking at trying my hand at making some moccasins, both summer and winter and need some guidance.
I think I should be using elk for Eastern Woodland Indian style; Oneida, Delaware (seem closest to the free pattern I found online) for center seem type, but what type of leather? I see a lot of suede but I don’t know that is an accurate depiction.
Also, does anyone have a pattern to point me to for a winter moc? How should the fur be attached?
Thanks for your help.

Deerskin was probably the most commonly used. Braintan is sort of like suede but if you want them to last at all, maybe use a medium grade leather with the rough side out.

There is some sites on the net, that has moccasin patterns.

Try the Possibles Shop, Crazy Crow and Moccasin Trace.
I have looked these over thinking on making a pair of moccasins.

LeeRoy

Big Ol Gobbler said:
Hi all,

I'm looking at trying my hand at making some moccasins, both summer and winter and need some guidance.
I think I should be using elk for Eastern Woodland Indian style; Oneida, Delaware (seem closest to the free pattern I found online) for center seem type, but what type of leather? I see a lot of suede but I don’t know that is an accurate depiction.
Also, does anyone have a pattern to point me to for a winter moc? How should the fur be attached?
Thanks for your help.
Brain-tan is the proper leather. For your first couple of pairs, I'd use commercial soft leather until you figure out how to make them. Try to stay away from that neon-orange leather, though if it if all you can get, you can use house-hold bleach to remove the color.

As to the pattern, look to a pucker-vamp style for your winter moccasin. By the way, there is NO fur attached. Liners of wool are appropriate

Color depends on your personna. Europeans often had their own patterns and to my knowledge a tan "deerskin" color. The Native Americans could have the same color or smoke the leahter a nut brown or very dark- like the Blackfoot people.

Thanks all for your advice.
So, if fur isn't appropriate, did native Americans sew the wool liners at the same time they stitched the moccasin or was it attached to the leather and then sewn?

The liners are separate. Use your foot as the pattern/size to make the liners (usually the same pattern as the moccasin) then use the liners as the sizing for the moccasins.

The fur on the outside of the moccasins. Never say never but.....from a lot of the artwork of the day, etc- that seems to me to be rather a rare thing. Just regular moccasins are usually shown in the paintings. Snowshoes are pretty common and might have been worn to keep from sinking in the snow and also to give better traction.

The ones i am wearing in this pic were made by a person that makes moccs,i got the tops seperate from crazy crow,sent them to her and had her put them on as she made them.They do come on a wide piece of canvas and you have to cut them out,they came out real nice.She got them centered real well

Just an idea~
IMG_0714.jpg

Back