• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Minie Ball - using wads?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilgrim64

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a wad behind a minie ball for the same reasons they are used with Maxi-balls? To prevent blow-by? I understand the Minies tail skirt is to expand into the rifling.

I have used mini's extensively in my 45 to up the energy at longer ranges and have done some serious experimenting with them. I have found that the light felt wads that are made for revolvers work nicely, but are costly. I prefer a leather wad abour 1/8 to 3/16 inch thick with a 1/8 hole punched into the center of the wads. While the origional enfields had a tapered wooden plug ( later they used a clay plug )to help with the expansion. I have found that the wooden plugs don't make any improvement. Also the alloy of the minis is critical to prevent the skirt from seperating. Harder allows tend to be brittle the purer the better.

Thank you for the response. I just cast a few in my LEE improved minnie mold for my .50 Hawken and sent one down range. They load so nice, my home cast maxi-balls were always too big and alot of sizing and pounding was required to get them in the barrel.

What type of distance were you able to get good groups with the minie? 100+? how tight of groups?

Two inch groups at 75 yrds were the farthest I tested. But I shot right through a deer at 145 yrds ,hitting right where I intended.( I had a woodpile as a rest and much younger eyes then, now I don't take longer shots due to older eyes. )That was using a shallow grove 1 in 48 twist Hopkins and Allen.

I assume you were not able to recover the minnie ball? did you ever recover one in a deer you shot? I imagine they pack a punch and flatten out real nice.

I posted some pictures of before and after comparing mini,s to round balls . Shot into wet saw dust and shreded newspaper. ( the poor mans ballastic jelly) about three weeks ago. Now if I can just remember the name of the post! I think it was" before and after."

Back