• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Midway Traditions/Pietta 1860

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, Midway kept tempting me with their $279 price for the Traditions/Pietta 1860 Army; and with their OFFER66666 promo code making shipping free I gave in and placed an order today. Since I all I have is #11 caps, I guess I need to order some replacement nipples as well. Already have the Pietta 1858, so this should make for some fun shooting in a couple of weeks.

Well that post just cost me $300. You would think with them only being that much new and delivered you could find a used one for less than $250. But nooooo, everybody wants north of 300 for theirs.
Sorry, I've been trying not to spend that 300 for 6 weeks now.
It's all about the timing and luck (and availability of product). Midway's price was higher just a few months ago (their "normal" price is listed at $350). It recently dropped to $279, went back up, and now dropped back down again to $279. Jedediah Starr has it at $339, and other online stores have their own prices, and then there's the price difference for a Taylors version or the "Pietta" version. I got lucky this time. Now waiting for delivery to see how much tweaking/de-burring I may have to do for smooth action.

Yeah I've been watching the prices too. Battlehawk had it for 270 plus 20 shipping-no tax. I should have bought it then but I've been waiting on a $200 used one.

It's all about the timing and luck (and availability of product). Midway's price was higher just a few months ago (their "normal" price is listed at $350). It recently dropped to $279, went back up, and now dropped back down again to $279. Jedediah Starr has it at $339, and other online stores have their own prices, and then there's the price difference for a Taylors version or the "Pietta" version. I got lucky this time. Now waiting for delivery to see how much tweaking/de-burring I may have to do for smooth action.

I have listed for sale a Pietta 1860 that I bought a couple of years ago. I don’t think I ever fired it and I’m asking $320 including shipping. I justify asking more than what a couple of you are hoping to spend (south of $300) because I already put in the time to correct the common manufacturing flaws, such as burrs, roughly finished surfaces, frozen wedge, etc. I’ve found that it has paid to do that work on every gun I’ve purchased, both new and used.

Given that I paid $295 plus shipping two years ago for my Pietta, I think I’ll earn about $1.50 per hour for the three or four hours that I spent improving the gun. 🫤

Last edited:
Yes just got my 1860 Pietta (Traditions) yesterday with free shipping and tax was $299.59. I should feel bad like I robbed bur all things considered I don't, I feel good really good. Ordered the Slixshot for it yesterday from Online Outpost. Hadn't heard of them but their price for the nipples was still $36 and everyone else is $39 and shipping was only $5.50 which was a dollar cheaper then anyone else.

I just broke it down an went over it to deburr and inspect it and I must say I am impressed. I'm not sure what i expected I guess something similar to the 1858 but it isn't it so much more. It just fits the hand. I love the Uberti 1851 navy and the way it sets in the hand but this 1860 Army really fits well. So glad I went ahead and got it.

Well oncewas I am glad your pleased, and I have to admit I broke down and ordered one last night with the free shipping. I also ordered a .454 round ball mold to go with it. I already have a 1858 so I will have two 44's now. I hope I am as happy with mine as you are! Give us some pictures of this 1860 when you get a chance.

First picture are the 1858 Remington and the 1860 Army both are Pietta's. The next picture is of my two 1851 Navy's the Uberti London is on top and the Pietta is on the bottom. The Pietta is a nice pistol but the Uberti just feels nicer in my hand, plus I like the looks of the London better.

Attachments

• IMG_2319.jpg
    IMG_2319.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2325a.jpg
    IMG_2325a.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
oncewas, Thank you for the pictures. Great looking group you have there. I just come in from the shop, casted about 12 lbs of lead for .454 round balls. Looking forward to the new 1860 getting here, as well as shooting them in the 1858. I am a newbie to percussion revolvers but have been reloading and casting for unmentionables for over 35 years. As someone who works full time still, it doesnt leave me alot of time to shop for used revolvers and/or shooting as far as that goes. I enjoy civil war history as well as shooing some of the reproductions used in that time frame.

The 1860 came in via the USPS on Thursday. At first glance, appearance and operation looks very good. The wedge took a little effort to get out, the loading lever assembly operation was a little stiff, and I found a tiny burr on the plunger rod. Lever operation much smoother after removing the burr and polishing the rod. Now to break it down and check everything else.

The 1860 came in via the USPS on Thursday. At first glance, appearance and operation looks very good. The wedge took a little effort to get out, the loading lever assembly operation was a little stiff, and I found a tiny burr on the plunger rod. Lever operation much smoother after removing the burr and polishing the rod. Now to break it down and check everything else.
Keep us informed on how it goes with the new gun as mine has not arrived yet. I hope that it is not a bad Pietta mess, but we will see when it arrives. Good luck with everybodys Piettas as Midway has it going on. At least for now anyways. Us pietta brothers have to stick together LOL.

Last edited:
Keep us informed on how it goes with the new gun as mine has not arrived yet. I hope that it is not a bad Pietta mess, but we will see when it arrives. Good luck with everybodys Piettas as Midway has it going on. At least for now anyways. Us pietta brothers have to stick together LOL.
Finally got around to doing a disassembly. Found no other burrs other than the tiny ones you would expect to find on the percussion cap cutout notch on the hammer (I removed those per the recommendation by duelist1954 in his video). It's all back together and the action feels smooth enough to shoot with no worries. Overall fit and finish is very good - especially for a sub $300 revolver. Cylinder gap is 0.003".

Latest posts

Back