• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Matchlock pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found here:
https://laststandonzombieisland.com/
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu119/hawkeyetoo/matchlock-pistol-1700-1799.jpg

"16mm matchlock used in India by the British during the early 1700s, from the Royal Armouries collection."

"Described as follows:"

"The overall length of the gun is 420 mm, the barrel length being 245 mm. Weight: The weight of the gun is 0.75 kg.

Full stocked in a brown stained wood, carved with a ball butt that resembles a brass butt-cap. The iron barrel is round, tapering with a bulbous muzzle and mouldings with a dentated border. There is a similar moulding near the breech and a simple rear-sight. The lock mechanism is of typical Indian pattern with the trigger linked to the serpentine, all being set in a slot in the woodwork. On the side of the stock is a conical holder for a pricker and a ring that once held the pricker chain. Under the stock is a swivel and a plain steel ramrod."

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's not rush to buy this unique piece of history, no leaps without previous looks :hmm:

I can see the Indian influence in the style & mechanism, but have my doubts that they were "Used by the British", which would presumably be referring to the HEIC (1612 - 1858).

There are numourus Japanese matchlock pistols. I've read that while usable, in Japan they were primarily used to designate rank. Which would make sense since there would not be much practial use for one.
That may be why there are no genuine European examples known.

The Indian pistols due exist, but are quite rare. The one originally posted here looks as though it was made to be used. The brass cone shaped item was actually used to snuff out the match. Some of the Torador matchlocks were equiped with two cones. One solid to snuff out the match, the other perferated to allow oxygen to pass and keep the match lit while transporting. Clever idea.

Here is a tiny India matchlock pistol. The small size makes me think this may have also been used to designate some type of rank, or maybe just a styling exercise back in the period. Anyway, sure is cute. LOL

Rick

In the collection of the Royal Ontario Museum, in Toronto, there are a couple of matchlock pistols, cast brass. They are styled like 16th century wheellock pistols. Small, they were toys.

I can see the Indian influence in the style & mechanism, but have my doubts that they were "Used by the British", which would presumably be referring to the HEIC (1612 - 1858).

I checked the Royal Armouries listing for this gun, and the "used by the British" thing is not something they mention. I agree that it'd be very unusual for a European in the 18th century to use a matchlock handgun when he would have had access to plenty of flint pistols from his own country. I could see it perhaps being something that local Indian troops on the British payroll would use though, since there is evidence that some of the HEIC's local auxiliaries in India used their native matchlock muskets rather than European guns.

The Indian pistols due exist, but are quite rare. The one originally posted here looks as though it was made to be used. The brass cone shaped item was actually used to snuff out the match. Some of the Torador matchlocks were equiped with two cones. One solid to snuff out the match, the other perferated to allow oxygen to pass and keep the match lit while transporting. Clever idea.

That's fascinating! I'd never heard of this. Where can one find a good book to learn more about Indian matchlocks?

I checked the Royal Armouries listing for this gun, and the "used by the British" thing is not something they mention. I agree that it'd be very unusual for a European in the 18th century to use a matchlock handgun when he would have had access to plenty of flint pistols from his own country. I could see it perhaps being something that local Indian troops on the British payroll would use though, since there is evidence that some of the HEIC's local auxiliaries in India used their native matchlock muskets rather than European guns.

That's fascinating! I'd never heard of this. Where can one find a good book to learn more about Indian matchlocks?
There is not really one good book that discusses Indian Torador style matchlocks. Probably the best introduction is : Islamic Firearms by Robert Elgood. There is a section that covers the Indian matchlocks. There are books covering Indian arms in general. But the emphasis is on the blades and armor that most collectors are interested in. So information on the guns is found in bits and pieces scattered about.

Rick

Ah too bad, another case of me taking an interest in something that nobody else cares about. I really need to start following trends more 🙃

Ah too bad, another case of me taking an interest in something that nobody else cares about. I really need to start following trends more 🙃
There are older Threads here on this section of the Forum that would offer a good amount of information on these guns. Possibly more than any book. LOL

Rick

Back