• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Match lock rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recent auction find. I bought this match lock rifle just because it looked interesting. I don't have a clue what I'll do with it. I was looking for any info I could get. There don't seem to be any markings other than the star pattern on the pan. The barrel is about 28-1/2" long. It appears to be homemade. Thanks for anything you can tell me. (It's not for sale.)

Attachments

• IMG_3938.JPG
    IMG_3938.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_4355.JPG
    IMG_4355.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_4357.JPG
    IMG_4357.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 210
Recent auction find. I bought this match lock rifle just because it looked interesting. I don't have a clue what I'll do with it. I was looking for any info I could get. There don't seem to be any markings other than the star pattern on the pan. The barrel is about 28-1/2" long. It appears to be homemade. Thanks for anything you can tell me. (It's not for sale.)
Definitely interesting. The chrysanthemum stamp is the the Imperial Seal of Japan but the one on your musket doesn't appear to have enough petal points or one too many.

Last edited:
It doesn't have a tang? The barrel is just held in the stock by the ties right now but there must have been something else that doesn't show on the photo?? If it was me I would lose the zip ties and hang it on the wall after doing something to prevent more rust. That said, I really like the gun. Great find.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

No rifling, I used the term loosely.

I've so far left it just as found. I thought the zip ties made it interesting. The mum is the pan, no vent.

No tang, just held in with zip ties.

My plan is to keep it as a wall hanger. I'll probably replace the zip ties with brass or iron strips. I haven't decided yet what level of restoration I'll go through. I think refinishing the stock and reworking the bore to make it fireable would take away from the charm.

Agree with Sam. It's likely a Chinese matchlock made by some rural local. Easy, and correct barrel band replacements would be leather or rattan. Nice find.

Rick

Chinese Yes Ide go along with that if many seem not to have much of a butt .and its not a snap lock & does appear to have a small low vent might be more a theatre prop or a firework firer . No saying their inscrutable out that way !. Rudyard

thanks for sharing with us. clean it up lightly and leave it as found. why spend $ on a liner? if you ear going to shoot it, then shoot it as is. you will not bring home any trophies or blew ribbons with it., beacuse it has a liner. save your $ and enjoy it. JMHO.

I think Rudyard is right. There does appear to be a low vent at the base of the MUM. Looks like the pan is dovetailed in from the rear.
Seems to also be a large lip around the crown.
Not sure I can see any evidence of use.

I think Rudyard is right. There does appear to be a low vent at the base of the MUM. Looks like the pan is dovetailed in from the rear.
Seems to also be a large lip around the crown.
Not sure I can see any evidence of use.
This might help.

Attachments

• IMG_3940.JPG
    IMG_3940.JPG
    329 KB · Views: 126
Not sure where this 'Mum' bit comes into it Mon might be a Japonese emblem but I doubt its intentional used here just the blacksmiths fancy maybe with a view to crushing up the courser powder grains to make better priming ?. Going by the muzzle I don't think it was meant to fire a ball or shot . So some theatrical prop or firework notion seems more likely . Its got us all talking so maybe its made as a puzzle!. .If so its succeeded admirably .
Rudyard

With no tang, is it possible that the barrel was forge welded over a mandrel and does not have a breech plug? Is there any trace of a seam on the bottom of the barrel? I bet it was formed over a mandrel and the breech end is a welded lump. I wonder if there is a way to determine the age of this weapon without spending a ton of money on lab analysis. It would be interesting to tie it to a tree and fire it, but please don't. A good camera down the bore could maybe tell if there is a breech plug joint or not. There should be a noticeable join line between the bore and the breech. One more thought - does the bore go all the way to the vent? And, if the ramrod doesn't go all the way down is it unloaded? This is fun.

Fun? It doesn't seem the owner wants to do anything and so drastic and Ide agree .A curiosity is all this piece should be , . lining as a rifle ? non starter. Make one like it do what you like then.
Rudyard

Since you've piqued my interest, and since I was going to replace the zip ties eventually anyway, I took the barrel off. It appears it was bored out of a single piece of iron. A ramrod goes down to about 1/2" of the end, and past the flash hole. Also, notice the barrel is not perfectly round. I doubt it was a movie prop, they would have used a commercial pipe or bar and it would be round.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 117
Back