• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

match cord

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a recipe I've posted a couple times before:

Using a plastic, two liter soda bottle, fill it with water and add half to three quarters of a cup of Saltpeter. Let a natural cord (like cotton clothsline) soak at least an hour (overnight is better), then dry thoroughly.

Outdoors on a dry day with low humidity and sun, it will usually take 3 to 5 hours. The other option is a DRY, warm cellar away from oil burners, etc., this may take two days. If you used too much you will get a thick crusty coating on the match. It will still work but you end up wearing a lot of white residue. Too little or not dry yet will cause you to continually have to relight it. If its crusty wipe the match with a wet rag and let it dry again. It will work fine when dry.

One thing when drying: Avoid iron railing and the like. Saltpeter is a fairly strong oxidizer and will cause rapid rusting of these items even through paint. Galvanized Chain Link fence or clothes line or wood fences or even tree branches work well.

Thank you, It's been a long time since I've shot my matchlock. I really enjoy it when I do.

The saturated cord should be placed on a flat surface to dry.

I wouldn't recommend hanging the match. Hanging causes the solution the drip down thus causing an uneven concentrate from top to bottom.

I shoot a snapping lock made by Jurgen Kreckel.
It's 1575 .72 cal, fishtail, witha 44" cannon mouth barrel. It also has a 16th century peep sight on it. A great gun' I can try to get some pics

Latest posts

Back