• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mass quantity Patches?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WI Smoke

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there any matterial I can buy beside pillow ticking to make/try new patches? Or possibly any cheaper manufactured ones?
My .54 GPR w/ .530 balls is a pain in the hand trying to start them.
WI Smoke

WI Smoke said:
Is there any material I can buy beside pillow ticking to make/try new patches?
Most fabric stores sell a 100% cotton material called "Home Spun" that typically mic's out to 0.010", about $2-3 yard.

Depending on your load though, they might burn through.

I wash them to remove any sizing, then rip into strips and either cut my patches at the muzzle or cut them flush when putting RBs into a ball block.

I shoot .535 balls in my .54. I start my round balls down-bore with a 14 ounce Dead-blow hammer with a ball starter. Once the barrel lands bite the pillow ticking, it pushes down slick-as-a-whistle. I use T/C #13 Bore Cleaner for patch lube. Cleans as it goes down. This is strictly a competition target-shooting/ range scenario.

WI Smoke said:
Is there any matterial I can buy beside pillow ticking to make/try new patches? Or possibly any cheaper manufactured ones?
My .54 GPR w/ .530 balls is a pain in the hand trying to start them.
WI Smoke
What size pillow ticking patches are you currently using?

I am using the wal-mart special. Have some of both red and blue, Don't know if there is any difference. Dang it I wish I had a mic.

Wi Smoke

WI Smoke said:
I am using the wal-mart special. Have some of both red and blue, Don't know if there is any difference. Dang it I wish I had a mic.

Wi Smoke
There seems to be some variation in Wal-marts pillow tickin' by the bolt, not necessarily by the color of the stripe. Denim would be another weave to try. I bought 3 yards of white denim for makin' a shirt, but haven't measured it. I might try the scraps for patchin' after the shirt's complete. :v

I shoot a .526 ball in my .54. The muzzle is coned. It loads easy and shoots well. I use .015 patching and 55 or 65 grains of 3f (depending on distance). Try some smaller balls instead of thinner patching. It is important that the patching survive all the way to the end of the barrel for accuracy, thin patching just doesn't have the strength to last.

Many Klatch

Where do you get the mold or round balls for .526?
I have heard of it once before but have not been able to locate one.

WI Smoke

Harbor Freight has Chinese made digital calipers for 9.99 that would be handy for any shooting enthusiast.

WI Smoke said:
Where do you get the mold or round balls for .526?
I have heard of it once before but have not been able to locate one.

WI Smoke

Lee makes a .527

HD

I also use the Wal-Mart Ticking (red stripe). Unwashed .016

Washed and ironed .018

That in my opinion is the best way to go, soak them with spit when you need one and they are sometimes a colorful decoration hanging from your bag strap :grin:

I have heard you guys talk about drill...Went to local Hobby Lobby, and they didn't know what I was talking about...How thick is it?? Is there another name it might be under??? Thanks...

JoAnn's has a great selection. Try to find 100 % cotton. I use Denim. Pick 1/2 yard of a few sizes, test it out and then go back and buy a yard or two of what works best for you.

I keep a mic in the truck & check at Wal-mart periodically, cause thieirs changed thicknesses even tho they may have the same SKU#. Also check on several places of the bolt as the edges are sometimes thicker than the middle.

Any good fabric store usually has Denim, Cotton Drill, and pillow ticking.

If I find a bolt of material I like, I usually buy the entire bolt as I will eventually use it & I have found if I buy just a little, I go back to get more & someone has bought the remaining off that bolt & the next one is a different thickness. So if ya find what ya want, get a ample supply of it.

:thumbsup:

Jo-Anne Fabrics has some stuff known as Cotton Sateen, which is used for lining drapes. It is a white, very tight woven, 100% cotton and works great for patches. Being a cheap SOB, I have picked up some of the patches and used them over again for an additional 2 shots. I wash the material, iron it for easy handling, and cut the patches using a rotary fabric cutter. Make sure you get the 100% cotton stuff as J-A also sells some cotton/polyester mixed stuff. The stuff I use mikes out at .016".

Latest posts

Back