• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mackinac Trade Gun - *** LARGE PIX ***

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Rob M. @Dusty_Traveler @Brokennock @ColonialRifleSmith
Well folks, today the thumb drive arrived with pix from the museum.

ETA: Just copied over directly from the thumb drive that the curator sent. They are large but wanted the detail available. Next is to copy over to PC and resize down to a 1024 width so that you don't have to deal with opening an attachment. Give me a short for this.

View attachment 270242
Thanks bud ,very kind .I'm gonna check.them out when I'm.on a computer , at library , not on this dollar store phone ! LOL ....appreciate it !

You folks do realize all of these pictures are of a recently made reproduction made of commercially available parts?
It could stand to loose some weight and be stocked in euro walnut. The barrel profile is wrong and the lock is wrong.
I think somebody was offering this gun as a kit some years ago.
I have made far more accurate representations of fusil de trait over the years.

Last edited:
I don't understand, does the museum say this is an original piece? Or on display to represent a French gun?

You folks do realize all of these pictures are of a recently made reproduction made of commercially available parts?
It could stand to loose some weight and be stocked in euro walnut. The barrel profile is wrong and the lock is wrong.
I began to wonder if this was a modern recreation. The parts just looked too new. Still, I appreciate the photos. Very instructional.

Thanks bud ,very kind .I'm gonna check.them out when I'm.on a computer , at library , not on this dollar store phone ! LOL ....appreciate it !

Per the curator, that is a 1:1 reproduction of what was found at the bottom of a lake.
And we're off to the races on fusil purity and iSchlong waving. Next will be that it was made in India.
Sigh, this feces is getting tiresome.

Yup. Between some of this and the Kibler bag thread,,, if I were new here,,, I'd turn around and walk away (I'm sure many wish I would).

Maybe the forum should have a scale (ruler) along the side of the screen for some of these folks to measure and compare......

Oh come on you old ladies! I'm trying to figure out what the purpose of all this is. There was no background attached to this thread. It was "look here at this great old French trade gun found at the bottom of a lake". No other explanation. It's a faif copy of a French trade gun but it's not old and has a few architectural problems. No big deal.

Per the curator, that is a 1:1 reproduction of what was found at the bottom of a lake.
And we're off to the races on fusil purity and iSchlong waving. Next will be that it was made in India.
It is not. I can guarantee that with out seeing the relic. Fusil purity? Really? Most people don't even understand what the word means let alone what the gun may look like.
Pictures of the relic would be far more educational. Even I could post all sorts of contemporary French trade gun pictures, but pictures of originals are prefered in a case like this.
I realize you went to great effort to post all of this and I probably hurt your feelings. I apologize for that.

Oh come on you old ladies! I'm trying to figure out what the purpose of all this is. There was no background attached to this thread. It was "look here at this great old French trade gun found at the bottom of a lake". No other explanation. It's a faif copy of a French trade gun but it's not old and has a few architectural problems. No big deal.
There are two threads going about this display gun. I thought one of them had more info.....
Could be wrong,,,, often am.

Back