• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I read a lot of you fine guys praising Lymans (older models) and was wondering if they are not the same quality and accuracy as an Older Cabelas Hawken?? Both made by Investarms? I have 4 Cabelas and they do shoot straight. Looking at a .45 Lyman Plains rifle and just wondering? Thanks! :grin:

My first ML was a Lyman Trade rifle. It was identical to the Investarms model 120B (save the trigger - single on the trade rifle, DST on the 120B).

I assume they were simply "tagged" for Lyman who bought them in bulk, but otherwise were built exactly the same (unlikely they retooled anything).

Would assume that after running the Investarms "run", then the "Lyman run", then the "Cabela's run" came off the line before they moved on to whomever else bought in bulk from them.

I have a Plains rifle in 54 flint. I looked around at a few before I got this one. Some of the ones I looked at had the touch hole quite a bit off center and others had cracks in the wood between the wedge keys. The cracks could have resulted from the assembly done at the gun shop and not the factory. Mine was a real tight fit when I put it together so something to watch out for. As far as the lock, it may not be HC with a coil spring but I think it is a quality lock as it is easy on flints and goes bang every time. I like mine and the only thing left to do is strip the bluing from the metal parts and rust brown them to suit my fancy a little better. I still think they are one of the best guns you can by short of having one made for you or building one yourself.

One is Great :rotf:

Great Plains Rifle is just the full name of Lyman's Hawken'ish rifle with the round ball twist (1:60).

The Great Plains Hunter is the fast twist (1:32) version.

Lyman says "their" Great Plains Rifle is styled after plains rifles built by Hawken, Gemmer (who took over the Hawken shop in later years) and Dimick (competition for the Hawken shop - have also read an account that some believe it was Dimick that actually built the "Hawken" rifle carried by Modena - but that's a whole other can of worms).

Of all the off the shelf rifles out there, the GPR/GPH probably look the most like the typical Hawken architecture despite not having Hawken anywhere in the name - which is probably why you rarely see/hear arguments as to whether or not Lyman rifles look "original" or not.

I think you might have a time finding a GPR in .45. All I have seen are .50 & .54. If there is a .45 out there I would like to have it. I have the 50 & 54.

Az;
I am reading your question as to the quality of production. I think there is some confusion built into it. Hence the answers. One model may or may not be indicative of all. Take car companies and their recalled cars for example...

The point, the consensus is, is that the current generation Lyman Plains Rifle is less Great than that once-stalwart was.

Quality and customer service have, sadly, suffered from the point where, when I was younger, it was pretty universally if not uniquely the gun no-one wouldn't approve of. Now, that's a valid use of a double negative and the prestigious Lyman family business has broadly turned 180-degrees.

Now, you'll remember this and about the Harper's Ferry 1803, right?

Got it! TY Sir!

The one I am looking at is a "plains Rifle"....is that the same as GREAT plains rifle? Its an older model so should be of better quality than current production.

If you can get an older GPR in good shape do it. Not only will you probably get a better gun than new but you'll get one without that stupid cutout and spring in the rib that keeps your ramrod in place.

The Lyman "Plains rifle" and the "Great Plains rifle" are indeed two different creatures.

The older "Plains rifle" has a large patch box.

The Lyman "Plains Rifle" is not the same as the GPR. As per Lyman, they sold the Plains Rifle from 1973 to 1980. It had a 28" barrel w/ 1:48 twist, brass trim, adjustable (W&E) rear sight and a cheek piece on the left side. The lock was the same (dbl. set w/ coil main spring) as the GPR. To add to the confusion, the "Components List" in the Lyman manual that came with the rifle referred to it as the "Lyman Hawken Plains Rifle". However, the barrel was just stamped "Plains Rifle".

Az;
Bottom line is if you find an older fine condition Lyman (Great) Plains Rifle it is probably better made than something brand spanking new. There's no getting around the current poor customer service...

Probably the Plains rifle is better at staying dry.

I've heard, "The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain!"

That's probably true here in the US as well. :hmm:

:grin:

Zonie said:
Probably the Plains rifle is better at staying dry.

I've heard, "The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain!"

That's probably true here in the US as well. :hmm:

:grin:

So, we've gotten around .99" rain year to date, with annual rainfall somewhere near 7". I suspect keeping dry isn't a task in AZ, although Flag was supposed to be getting 3-5" snow over the weekend :rotf:

Every bit of 5" likely 8+ but in late spring t snows, settles, melts repeats. Had 5 last night, home from church all gone.

Anyway...question remains is the Plains as good as the Great plains?

"As Good As" is subjective.
It's comparing Apples to Oranges.
The Plains is a 1-48 28" barrel
The Great Plains has a 1-60 twist 30" barrel
The butt stock is shaped different, the forearm is different and the barrels are pinned different.

I think in short you'll find the Plains to be more like the current Lyman Deer Stalker and/or the TC Renegade, and/or as your first guess much like the older Cabelas Hawken.

My Trade rifle (Lyman) was 1:48, 28" barrel. Same lock as all Lyman's.

Was a great rifle (but not a "GREAT TRADE RIFLE") :rotf:

Shot well. Would assume if the earlier Plains rifle has a 28" barrel it would have been the same.

If the price is right and the barrel is in good shape it's probably as "good as" any of the other off the shelf offerings from a few years back.

DINWOODY said:
The Lyman "Plains Rifle" is not the same as the GPR. As per Lyman, they sold the Plains Rifle from 1973 to 1980. It had a 28" barrel w/ 1:48 twist, brass trim, adjustable (W&E) rear sight and a cheek piece on the left side. The lock was the same (dbl. set w/ coil main spring) as the GPR. To add to the confusion, the "Components List" in the Lyman manual that came with the rifle referred to it as the "Lyman Hawken Plains Rifle". However, the barrel was just stamped "Plains Rifle".

that's not quite true this one in Sam Fadala's
black powder loading manual has a 32 inch barrel and a 1 in 66 twist see page from book
Bernie :thumbsup:

Back