• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lyman plains pistol kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzy adams

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I going to get a pistol , got it down to a lyman plains pistol in 54 cal . thinking on a kit model. Are they easy to put together etc and how good are they in shooting etc .

I bought my .54 ready made about 15years ago. Love it. Can be loaded very powerful. You will not be sorry
P

I just finished one about a month back. As has already been said they can be loaded up to fairly high power levels. I personally use 40-45 grains of 3F in mine behind a .530 RB with a .018 patch. The pistol is more accurate than I am. They are worth the money.

They're a well built, rugged and accurate gun. The kit is pretty easy to build, but if you're considering it to save money, you really won't. By the time you factor in any tools that you might need, sandpaper, wood stain and finish, metal treatment, etc., you don't really save anything. Factory kits are great for people who enjoy customizing the gun to suit them.

Man I certainly "ditto" that. I never saved a dime by putting a kit together.

If I had to do it again I would do the kit but that was because the teenager and I put it together but If it we down to time and material I would go with the finished product. This gun is fun to shoot.

Back