• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman gpr alternatives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickenmcnasty

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just called lyman customer service to check stock on the 57gpr and 17aeu. The person on the other end of the phone could not look up those items by model number and said I would need to call back with the lyman part numbers as she had "16 other calls holding". Needless to say, I am less than thrilled with my initial experience with their company. She has succeeded in convincing me I should explore other options instead of purchasing the lyman gpr.
Is there anything else in similar price and quality? I was going to get the .54 slow twist and add a .50 hunter barrel later, but if there is something similar in price I would like to consider spending my money with someone who might appreciate it!
Opinions are appreciated, rant off...

I just received my back-ordered 57 GPR sight last week. Ordered it in October. There are other sources for the same model sight. Maybe that is what she meant. It's been my experience that their ordering and shipping isn't very good. Try Bownell's or TOW etc.

That being said, the sight is great on the GPR.

At that price point you are not going to find another "new" commercial offering that looks like a plains rifle the way the GPR does.

As to similar in quality (if you discount some of the recent complaints about Lyman products), a rifle from Traditions would be similar quality and you could argue that a Pedersoli would be of somewhat better quality (at least in their higher priced offerings).

In the 500-600 dollar range, I feel the quality is similar and it's more about which "look" you prefer because all are decent shooters that will more than fit the bill as an entry level sidelock.

I personally would opt for a Pedersoli.

The Hawken, Blue Ridge, or Kentucky would come at similar cost to a GPR.

I dislike Traditions breech system which is why I would shy away from them.

If you really like the looks of the GPR then and you could dig deeper into your wallet the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken (my opinion) is far superior in looks, fit and finish but is reflected in the $1200 price tag.

Final note - none of the other current offerings allow you to "drop in" another factory barrel for under 300 bucks. So if that is important to you the GPR is currently your ONLY option.

Essentially she refused to check availability unless I looked up their part numbers and called back with them. It was just poor customer service and left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Did you order direct from lyman?

I was afraid of that. I like pedersoli, but not that much! I also wanted the drop in barrel as well.

There are alot of Lyman authorized dealers - if the company is not the greatest to deal with perhaps one of the smaller shops that would appreciate the business would be more helpful.

Check their webite, there may be one somewhat local to you.

Track of the wolf has the Lyman 57 SML sight in stock. It is listed as different than the 57 GPR sight. I'd call em and ask if the SML could be fit onto your Lyman rifle.
good luck in your search, the 57 sight is a great tang sight.

ScottH said:
Track of the wolf has the Lyman 57 SML sight in stock. It is listed as different than the 57 GPR sight. I'd call em and ask if the SML could be fit onto your Lyman rifle.
good luck in your search, the 57 sight is a great tang sight.

The 57 GPR sight is actually marked 57 SML. What makes it a GPR is the tapered spacer that fits between the sight and the tang.

I recently ordered my 57 GPR from Jedediah-Starr. It was on backorder, but he got some in about 4 days later. It delivered over a week ago and is already installed.

I never order anything from Lyman. They're dumb as dirt, slow to respond to inquiries, and charge the full list price - many other on-line retailers don't mark them up that high. Look around and buy at the best price.

Yes, I ordered direct from Lyman. Backorder from the fall. They were always very nice to me and apologetic when I called, but I don't think they are set up for direct sales.

Amazon has 10 of the 57 GPR receiver sights in stock right now. I'm not sure if I am allowed to post a link, but if you go to their site and do a search, they should come up.

Rick

Back