• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman 57 GPR sights?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprayinbear

36 Cal.
Reaction score
:hmm: Just wondering....

I have a Lyman GPR .50 that I shoot off-hand as often as I get to the range. I just found out that Lyman makes the #57 GPR peep sight for my gun and a globe front sight as well (#17 I believe.) Has anyone tried these on your GPR. As my eyes are aging I'm trying to do all I can to maximize my vision for as long as I can.

hi, i'm new to this. ihave a GPR.54, could not make out sights,used the 57,and17 set up, works wonders for old eyes. may take a little fitting.i like them. oldman22

They work really well. Folks with more traditional leanings don't like the look, but as my eyes have aged they look better and better on a gun. :grin:

I have to say I ended up replacing the front sight with a bead or blade on most guns while retaining the rear. The peep really helps old eyes, but that globe front is a stinker when you pack it with snow or mud. Can't shoot for blooey when your front sight is suddenly a giant white or brown blob, and it's darned hard to clean them well enough in the field. I'd have nothing else at the range, yet I prefer anything else for hunts in our very rough terrain.

Sounds very promising... :hmm:

As this is an off-hand range gun I don't have to worry about snow or crud!

I'd love to see some pics.

Thanks Guys!

I have them on one of my guns and they work great at the range. They also work great in the sunshine when hunting. Problem is they don't work for me in low light like the first hour in the morning and the last at night in the woods.

I don't have a GPR but I do use them on my Renegades

Flatlander2.jpg

And I got them on my Hawken.

Hawken1.jpg

I use them for mostly hunting open country for Deer, antelope, and elk. I have good eyesight so I can't tell you what they will do for you but I love them. Ron

I have the Lyman 57 rear and globe front sight on two rifles. I really like this set up. Found the larger hole in the hunting apeture works for me for hunting. Different size apetures can be had from Williams sight company. Midway has them if you need them.

The Lyman peep screws right on to existing holes already in the tang. I dont use any aperature just the hole they screw into.I use a blade front sight. I only have half an eye on my sighting side so without the peep I wouldn't be able to shoot at all.Yea some of the traditionalists hate them so I hate traditionalists!!!!! I don't have to make anybody happy but myself. FRJ

I use one on mine and it was a great addition! I use it with the factory post front sight.

You wouldn't want a globe front sight on a field gun.

The Lyman peep works well. I never liked peeps but at my advanced years have gained an appreciation for 'em. My preference for a front sight is the white bead filed down to about 60% (?) of its factory diameter. On my rifles that have a post, I've filed a "V" notch at the top and have used fluorescent green, orange or white paint in the notch to narrow my aimpoint. Paint comes off easily so you can change it and find what works for you.
No it isn't PC but I'd i'd rather hit with non-PC sights than miss with traditional ones. I love big holes in 10-rings!

I put this combination on a Lyman Deerstalker to solve the same problem. It works great. The covered front sight reduces the light so I only see one bead instead of two. I can see well enough to shoot 0.8" groups (center-center) at 50 yds. Not so easy to see early and late but still better any time of day than the original equipment.

Lyman has a metric dovetail cut so get the right one.

morehops said:
On my rifles that have a post, I've filed a "V" notch at the top and have used fluorescent green, orange or white paint in the notch to narrow my aimpoint. Paint comes off easily so you can change it and find what works for you.

Now that's a real interesting idea. Gonna play with it, and thanks. :hatsoff:

CraigC said:
I use one on mine and it was a great addition! I use it with the factory post front sight.

I am curious where you came up with this. Why wouldn't you want a globe? I have found that the globe sight for hunting is a perfect combination for the open country spot and stalk type of hunting I do. Globes offer you options of types of front sights that are instantly interchangeable. Simple post sights to cross hair. They work great. Ron

Where I came up with it? It should be rather common knowledge. Globe sights cover too much of the target area. They're specialized target sights designed for use in broad daylight and in a semi-controlled environment. I'm sure they might be acceptable in open country but in the deep dark woods of the east, you couldn't tear it off quick enough.

Idaho Ron said:
I am curious where you came up with this. Why wouldn't you want a globe? I have found that the globe sight for hunting is a perfect combination for the open country spot and stalk type of hunting I do. Globes offer you options of types of front sights that are instantly interchangeable. Simple post sights to cross hair. They work great. Ron

I agree on all counts Ron and would use them happily up here, except for the snow and mud I cited. We cover our muzzles with electrical tape as a matter of course because of the issue, but one slip with the muzzle down and the globe sights are hard packed and have to be thoroughly cleaned out.

Idaho Ron said:
CraigC said:

I agree with Ron in that for his type of hunting, spot and stalk, these may work well. Here in NH, the woods are thick and generally dark with short and quick shots being the norm. In this case, I personally would not want a globe. And it is not just a matter of getting used to as I have shot smallbore since I was eleven and LOVE a globe sight. Just not for hunting here. I do have the tang sight on all of my deer guns but use an open blade or bead out front.

CraigC said:
Where I came up with it? It should be rather common knowledge. Globe sights cover too much of the target area. They're specialized target sights designed for use in broad daylight and in a semi-controlled environment. I'm sure they might be acceptable in open country but in the deep dark woods of the east, you couldn't tear it off quick enough.

Your going to need to tell these animals that they can't be killed with a globe front sight here are a few. BTW Globe sights don't cover up the animal as much as a OEM front sight. In Fact I have BPCR inserts in all of mine and they are precision shooting instruments. While I have never hunted in thick nasty stuff with one of my rifles I would not pass up the chance to do it.
CraigC have you ever actually used a globe sight? Most of these "common knowledge" posts are misinformation that is handed down from people that have never actually hunted with one. Ron

9-25-10Lsmall.jpg

JohnsbuckA.jpg

2009buck08-A.jpg

2008buck1.jpg

Bigbuck4.jpg

Mybuck55.jpg

Jacobs2011doe1small.jpg

Idaho Ron
As the old saying goes a picture is worth a thousand words :thumbsup:
Your posting has just sold me on putting a globe sight on.
Thanks for your info. :hatsoff:

Idaho Ron said:
CraigC said:

I'm with you Ron, I like them for hunting too.

I have these sights on my GPR and I shoot much better with them now that I wear glasses... I use the post insert for hunting and have no problems.

Funny thing, the rifle shoots to the point of aim but the rear sight is waaaaaay to the right of the bore. It's all the way to the end of the range of the little scale they put on there. The front sight looks perfectly centered. I don't know, maybe I need to drift it left a little.

Back