• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Love thy dentist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtmattison

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Got another batch of lead foil from our family dentist the other day.
I just melted it down and got 20 pounds of ingots.
At this rate (20 pounds every 6 months) I'll be stocked up on lead for life.
Heck, I already have 600 pounds of telephone cable lead.
I better get out shooting more often.

HD

You have it right. I recently happened to ask my dentist for some foil and he actually thanked me for taking it away. I was 54lbs. worth. TBONE :grin:

You guys are lucky; I asked my dentist and he said he couldn't give me any as he was under contract for disposal. ??

:nono: My dentist talked to the Haz Mat people and they told him I needed a processing and disposal permit, and I needed to get my facility inspected my facility to pass their specs and requirements I told him I was going to melt it for RB's just for myself, guess I should have expected it from California luckily he didn't tell them my name or address.... :youcrazy:

Harold1950 said:
and they told him I needed a processing and disposal permit, and I needed to get my facility inspected my facility to pass their specs and requirements........

luckily he didn't tell them my name or address....

Well now they know it, Harold. :shocked2:

GW

i would sell it to us.i dont pour my own and would buy those balls.

i got 1000 balls .490 from BULLET WEIGHTS inc for 50 dollars delievered.

Hey GW.....heck they know I've got a split personality so they don't know which address I'm at of the two........... :haha:

My dentist also went digital. I fortunately had maybe 5 pounds or so of delnat xray foils. I use them also for fishing. Easy to wrap around a hook or line for a little added weight.
I halped a fellow a few years ago that had a loose sight, a piece of one of those lead foils were the perfect shim for tightening the rear sight.
Ohio Rusty >

Hey Wow
I will ask mine, not meaning to sound stupd but what do they use it for,, Best regards a loyalist Dawg :hatsoff:

aloyalistdawg said:
Hey Wow
I will ask mine, not meaning to sound stupd but what do they use it for,, Best regards a loyalist Dawg :hatsoff:

There is a very thin lead foil in the little X-ray thingies they put in your mouth to take the picture. When they pull it apart they dispose of the plastic part and save the lead because it is HAZMAT.
I'm sure your dentist will be more than happy to give you the lead.

HD

:thumbsup: Hey Thanks appreciate the info, and yep I is ask'en him
Thanx again best regards
a loyalist Dawg :hatsoff:

I have a dental office as my neighbor. The dentist gave me about 20 lbs of lead. Man was that stuff nasty. It took me a good while to get all the manure out of it. It will shoot fine in a rifle since you're using a patch but it doesn't work well in a revolver. It has tin and antimony in it. It is a little softer than WW put not by much.

I found a deal at Wal-Mart. They were clearing out some fishing weights. $1.00 per lb. I got about 16 lbs. It was all pure.

That's odd, because 99% of the guys I've heard of using the dental lead claim it's dead soft.

Interesting!!!!!

I agree with Stars&Bars. Dental lead is hard and I have a lead tester. The stuff I get is every bit as hard as WW. The only thing I can use it for is casting bullets for my 30-30 or my CF pistols. Ron

Back