• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lots of good lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohio ramrod

75 Cal.
Reaction score
For anyone in North eastern Ohio the metalics recyling center in Wooster has a ton or more ( minus fifty lbs I got today ) of lead sheating in. I assume it came from an x ray room as it has dry wall paper on some of the pieces.It is really soft and I asuume pure.

Local hospital here re-did an x-ray room and the local scrape yard got about a 2500# of sheet like ohio explained.

They were sellin a $1 per pound. I bought a single sheet weighed 114#. I cleaned the paper off it, did the math and cut it into about 7" widths and rolled it into 5 and 10# rolls.

Figured I'd sell some off at vous' too recover a bit of expense, sold 60# at 1.25, not a major money maker, I wasn't trying too, just sharing. I went back to get some more and the SOB sold the whole lot with other soft lead.(china is making car batteries)

Even at what some will think is the high price of a buck a pound,,it's still cheaper than the 11-15 they get for a box of 100 ball now-a-days! a box of 535 is about 3#.

I'd recomend going back to get some more, that
x-ray lead is 100% pure stuff, real nice to work with.

If I remember right it was about 68 cents a pound. I really didn't pay close attention to the exact cost and I burned the receipt before the wife found it. :surrender:

I really didn't pay close attention to the exact cost and I burned the receipt before the wife found it.

A useful technique indeed, Ramrod. Almost a necessity when you have [strike]an obsession[/strike] a hobby like ours.

ozark57 said:
Guns at my house come and go,and the untrained eye will never know!!!!!
That's funny! I bought a Pedersoli Sharps and was trying to figure out how to hide it when the idea struck me to just hide it in plain sight.
I put it on the wall with a bunch of other guns in the living room and it sat there for 2 weeks.
One evening while watching a movie wife suddenly focuses on the sharps say's "Is that a new gun?"
I said no honey that old things been hanging there forever. She gave me a short confused look, shrugged and went back to watching the movie. :wink:

It is by far the best way. Just think of the BAD things we could be doing. Guns are an innocent part of an honest mans life.

Your hidding the gun in plain sight reminds me of an incident several years back. My oldest son came home from college and asked if he could take his shotgun over to his friend's house to shoot some trap. I told him it was nice that he still asked, but he really did not have to ask any more since he was 22 years old and it was his gun! When he came home he walked in to the house and asked: "Where did all of those guns in the gun cabinet come from? " I steped on his foot and said :" They are some of Johny's guns he wanted me to clean up for him." After the wife left the room he said : "Those aren't Johny's guns, his are always a mess, those are brand new guns!" The wife never questioned the guns as long as they were in the gun cabinet. To this day she does not know that I traded six shirts she made me for a smooth bore! She just wonders why I need so many primative shirts!

Back