• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

LOOKING FOR BUFFALO TONGUE RECIPES.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boil tongue in salted water, peppercorns and bay leaf. Peal the outside off. Slice thickly and fry lightly in olive oil.

Layer in casserole dish and cover with Tomate Frito, bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve with lots of bread.

Tomate Frito

In stock pot cover bottom of pot with 1/2 inch of quality olive oil, fry 1 chopped onion and a head (yes peel a complete head) of garlic. when onion is glassy add 2 large cans of tomato puree and then blend with an immersion blender to blend all the garlic and onion, salt to taste.

Tomate frito is also good over lightly fried cod. Cover it and bake at 350 for 30 minute also.

I also use it for pheasant that I quarter and fry in olive oil until lightly browned, cover and bake for 1 hour at 325

Liver I leave for the coyotes

Attachments

• tongue.jpg
    tongue.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 0
Never had Buffalo tongue, but we ate beef tongue regularly growing up. I love it, but the last 44 years I've only had it once or twice as my Wife refuses to have it in the house, go figure. Years ago I would cut out the tongues of deer I killed, and they were tasty but the size really didn't warrant the effort.

Boil it in lightly salted water ,the peel it. Then you can season and bake it or put in the smoker.
After it’s cooked slice thin and soak in dill pickle juice fore a few hours ,eat it on home made bread and butter
not a liver fan but soak it in water and rinse until the blood is mostly gone.slice it thin salt and pepper then dredge in flour fry in bacon grease with lots of sliced onions

Here's a recipe from the Range Riders Cookin' book, created by Bob Kerby's Longhorn Studio.
As for the liver...I agree...give it to the coyotes......

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    446.5 KB · Views: 0
In Japan there is a type of restaurant called "Yakiniku" meaning "Grilled Meat". Succulent, thin slices of various marinated meats including beef tongue are cooked on table top grills and dipped in a savory sauce. One of my favorite dining experiences. I'll bet buffalo tongue would work just fine.

Sam Arnold's Eating Up the Santa Fe Trail and The Fort Cookbook. Also Shinin'' Times at the Fort by Holly Arnold Kinney. Nice PBS video or program called A Taste of History. It features a professional chef cooking tongue, cactus and tortillas with a staff member at Bent's Old Fort in La Junta, Colorado. Big tip is after boiling the tongue is to peel the membrane off while still hot. Watch your fingers or dip them in cold water intermittently. Horse radish sauce often used on top of the sliced tongue. Calve's tongue is good when you can't get buffalo and better than older cow tongue. Used to sell it in our restaurant. Liver sliced thin and quickly fried and pulled off before it gets tough is good with fried onions. Pronghorn liver is touted as the best fois gras (sp?) in the world by some knowledgeable chefs. A dandy way to eat liver is raw - sliced thin and dipped in bile from the gall bladder. This is how we eat our liver after freshly butchering a young bison cow. You need to develop a taste for it. The real bile is preferred to the green chili sauce put out by commercial makers.

I get my lengua tacos from a local taqueria.
Tasty, but the smooth texture is odd to me, so I don't get them often.

A dandy way to eat liver is raw - sliced thin and dipped in bile from the gall bladder. This is how we eat our liver after freshly butchering a young bison cow. You need to develop a taste for it. The real bile is preferred to the green chili sauce put out by commercial makers.
Getting back to the old ways is what we endeavor to do with muzzleloaders, but I'm not sure I would go for this. I never did like the taste of bile from after a hard night of drinking. 😵‍💫🤢🤮

To force [stuff] a Tongue;

Boil it tender. When cold, cut a hole in the root end, taking out some of the meat. Shred the meat you take out with as much beef suet, some pippins,
[apples] a little beaten mace, nutmeg, pepper, and salt, fome sweet herbs, [parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme] two boiled yolks of eggs; chop all, and mix it with raw eggs ; stuff the tongue ; cover the [open] end with buttered paper, or a veal cawl, roast it, and baste it with butter. For sauce, have melted butter, with a little good gravy, the juice of a lemon, a little grated nutmeg; boil it over the tongue ; in the dish. horse-radish and barberries.

FROM: The Lady’s, Housewife’s, and Cookmaid’s Assistant by E. Taylon, London 1769

So I never had tongue until 1992, Christmas, when a local deli provided a cold-cut platter to my workplace, but nobody let me know it was at the station. So when I got into the station, all that was left was a couple strips of lean roast beef, some swiss cheese, sliced sour dough, AND two large piles of an unknown, medium rare meat. "What's that?" I asked. "That's tongue" I was told, so I tried it..., since I was the last in and nobody else wanted it, after I tasted it, I put it all into a ziplock bag and it went home with me for the weekend. I'm surprised I didn't get gout.....THAT WAS GOOD STUFF

LD

In days of yore, all the hunters would eat from a buffalo was tongue, hump and sometimes boss ribs as it had the most fat and was the most tender. There was a thriving trade in smoked or salted buffalo tongue to the east, so much so that many a less than honest hunters would kill cattle and send them back as "buffalo tongue". It was considered a "high delicacy" for the upper class.

Why Were Buffalo Killed For Their Tongues​

The majority of white buffalo hunters kill for their tongues and hides, leaving the carcasses on the Plains to rot. The buffalo tongue was the most common type of meat that hunters kept. Each tongue was purchased for 25 cents and sold in the markets, and 50 cents were sold in markets farthest east.

Last edited:
Sam Arnold's Eating Up the Santa Fe Trail and The Fort Cookbook. Also Shinin'' Times at the Fort by Holly Arnold Kinney. Nice PBS video or program called A Taste of History. It features a professional chef cooking tongue, cactus and tortillas with a staff member at Bent's Old Fort in La Junta, Colorado. Big tip is after boiling the tongue is to peel the membrane off while still hot. Watch your fingers or dip them in cold water intermittently. Horse radish sauce often used on top of the sliced tongue. Calve's tongue is good when you can't get buffalo and better than older cow tongue. Used to sell it in our restaurant. Liver sliced thin and quickly fried and pulled off before it gets tough is good with fried onions. Pronghorn liver is touted as the best fois gras (sp?) in the world by some knowledgeable chefs. A dandy way to eat liver is raw - sliced thin and dipped in bile from the gall bladder. This is how we eat our liver after freshly butchering a young bison cow. You need to develop a taste for it. The real bile is preferred to the green chili sauce put out by commercial makers.
Thank you! This is just what I need. BJ

Back