• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

looking for a knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmannx217

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Guys,

I'm looking for a riflemans knife. Hand forged 6" 0r 8" blade with antler handle. Can anyone recommend a good maker please?

just received a very nice Damascus long knife 8 in blade shed white tail antler handle, pewter ferrel,excellent knife and workmanship,very reasonably priced.Early blade style, Built by WAYNE ESTES,PARIS KENTUCKY, decent price great guy to work with. If you P.M .me I can give you the contact info.This is the second knife I have purchased from him and am very pleased with them both. AN APPALACHIAN HUNTER

If hand forged is a must, Kyle Willyard, Old Dominion Forge. Otherwise, Lonehunter will give you the best blade for your money with a superior steel and satisfaction guarantee.

If hand forged is a must, Kyle Willyard, Old Dominion Forge. Otherwise, Lonehunter will give you the best blade for your money with a superior steel and satisfaction guarantee.

Wick makes a dang good knife too :thumbsup:

Here's a bone handled "Longhunter" knife. My personal one has an elk stag handle.

00small62918899.JPG

Try Curt Lyles. Just google his name :thumbsup: I have 2 of his knives and ALL his knives is hand forged

I will add Tim Ridge and Scott Summerville to the makers already mentioned. Price was not mentioned and some knives can be pricey. I my experience, they also tend to be personal in terms of both appearance and how they feel in one's hand. Visiting shows is a good way to get an idea of the market and of the quality of a given maker. Good luck with your purchase.

I don't see any real traditional knives there. While those are knives of good quality, they are not all that correct for a historical portrayal, depending on ones desired level of period correctness. They may be good rendezvous or camp knives, but fall short in design, materials, and finish for early knives of their class or type. For the most part, they also seem a tad over priced for what you get, but that's just my personal opinion. The best buy I saw was the Old Hickory butcher. It could be modified to be passable for historical presentation, but would be a lot of work.

muzzy125 said:
Guys,

I'm looking for a riflemans knife. Hand forged 6" 0r 8" blade with antler handle. Can anyone recommend a good maker please?

I've had this one so long, that I'm unsure exactly where I got it - maybe Atlanta Cutlery, back when they sold real knives ?

DSCN2094.jpg

Hello

I read your post and remembered a half-completed knife that might be just what you're looking for.

I forged this blade out of 5160 spring steel and used Ebony wood for the handle slabs.

About half the work is completed, so there's still plenty of room for you to change things for personal preference or fit your persona better.
It's also likely that I would be able to get the knife to you a bit sooner than another blade smith starting from raw stock.
I'm also a younger guy who hasn't honed his skills as finely as the older/more experienced makers, and do my best to price my stuff accordingly.

I have several pictures of completed knives, so if you're interested, please PM me.

Rifleman's knives are often long bladed. Many over 12". Mine is about 11 1/2" but is used only for display and demos. Haven't used it to fight injuns or Redcoats for months. :wink: For camp use shorter would be more practical. Riflemen carried what they had, often with little uniformity. And, WE, forget it, :td: I won't get into another argument that your documentation is better than mine, or anyone else's.

Very nice!! Should fit into an 18th c. representation very well, except for it being too short maybe. Looks like only 8 or 9 inches in blade length. Just kidding. Looks like it could be a re-handled factory made blade. At any rate a very fine outfit. You really did get lucky.

Looks fine to me. Some were longer but long blades could get caught in tipi sides when hacking away at a sleeping injun. Really. I prefer the long blades for appearances but most of my knife fights :wink: have been with shorter blades. There is a reason why the famous Ka-Bar Marine fighting knife is about 7 1/2".

Latest posts

Back