• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking 4 answers about old BP, which forum?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it’s REAL black powder and been kept dry, it’s ok. If it’s pyrodex , it may or may not be good. A good thing to do with gift black powder from an unknown source is to pour some on a board outside and light it. I do this to check if someone accidentally mixed it with smokeless propellant, you can tell by the burn rate.

Thanks for answering. The stuff in the can flow like Morton's Salt. From the flask, it dribble out while shaking. Took the top off and shook the contents into a bowl. It had a glistening look, damp and oily. But it didn't feel damp or oily. Put it onto a plate and spread it out. After an hour or so the top wasn't shiny any longer but when mixed with a plastic spoon the shiny was back. Seemed to leave an oily residue but felt more like really fine powder. Put ½ teaspoon on a soup can lid, Took it outside and with a torch, went at it. I did not expect it to burn but it did, and quickly just like I remembered BP burning, instantly. So, over night under a slow operating ceiling fan I place about a table spoon on a folded paper napkin, weighed it 36g - the napkins weight. 10 hours later the weight was a g less. Doing the same thing tonight. Question is what happened to this stuff in the flask? The man who owned it is passed, there were 25 .50 balls, near full tin of caps along with other BP stuff. And a gun .50 cal CVA not in good shape rusty but still sold for $225. Every thing was found in the garage by the estate sale people. Note the tin of caps were priced at $1.85. I suppose a chemist could explain or maybe someone on this Forum. Thanks for reading, Steve

It probably absorbed some moisture being stored in a flask, they are not watertight. I honestly wouldn’t use it, you may have a myriad of problems with it. The stuff in the can may be ok. If the lid was tight. can you send a picture of the …. Can?

Thanks for your input. So, a double table spoon (about) was left out over night with the results being 2 to 3 grains lighter plus very little shining with the majority grey in color. Going to do the same with the rest of the flasks contents today and tonight. Using a larger plate with doubled paper towels. OK 👍, pictures of the can... I do agree about the moisture in the garage, for how long? It should have grown whiskers. If it dries out l'll probably put it in a caped jar. Not with any other, that's for sure. Can't believe it burned though. Thanks, Steve

Attachments

• 20240226_114206.jpg
    20240226_114206.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240226_114155.jpg
    20240226_114155.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240226_114140.jpg
    20240226_114140.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240226_114133.jpg
    20240226_114133.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240226_114127.jpg
    20240226_114127.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240226_114117.jpg
    20240226_114117.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
It took a couple of days but all the powder is dry. Putting the effected stuff in an old Gerber jar. I'll test it after the first two or three rounds using known good propellant. Thanks for everyone's input. Steve

Latest posts

Back