• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WITHDRAWN lookin for an 1860army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do people feel the the best shooter when getting an 1860 replica?
I’ve had pietta, uberti, and armi san marco. Of those I would take the Uberti every day of the week. Some people feel that the shorter arbor is a huge game changer. I haven’t found it to be so and the Uberti’s are generally closer in size, form, and function to the originals.

I have examples of the Armi San Marco, Uberti and Pietta. The Armi San Marco is the best fit and finish and a good shooter, but they have have been out of business for some time. Between the Pietta and the Uberti, the Pietta is the best shooter, but it is not a fair comparison as the Pietta has been tuned. In Stock form, I think they are very similar, and the new Pietta is the equal of Uberti.
Just my opinion, and there is probably variation between individual examples that would cause one brand to best the other. I have never had a new one of any brand fail to perform.

Some one gave me a Pietta, Only $150 to get it to work reliably.
Heard good things about Uberti.

They are all in the rough, and you have to bring it up to your standards.
There are some here that have very high standards.

Well, there you have it! Consensus has been reached! 😂

OP: what’s your budget? Thank you.

Last edited:
Ol asm really seem to have stuck in my hart as the nicest pieces I've ever got to handle an own.
If I find one from the 1970s that has that good fitting an finishing and the high quality bluing I'll probably go around
400 yanki dollars.

As far as standards and preference and what's the best goes, as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

How many of us have a preference for something because of an impression made on us in our childhood.

I heard for years that the Roger and Spencer was the best cap and ball revolver ever made, far superior to colt & remington they say, but I didn't care, because I wasn't really interested in what people claim is the very best, I was interested in what I like and feel comfortable with, and for $1,000 for a Roger and Spencer , I'm figuring 'wow I could get a pair of what I like and a bag of ammunition to go with it.
But one became available and they are a neat looking piece . . .
So I've had and carried it for some time and while I don't hate it it certainly is far from being the best, & it's not even very handy.

the muzzle heavy ol walker is even more handy than the r&s is.

Belgium Colt Centaur if you can find one
Fella just moved out here near beaver hole has one, or so he says, it does appear to be made by the people that made the centaur, but I don't think it's made from old colt parts.
we went deer hunting las month an when got back to where he's living he got it out and showed it to me it's in the original wood box but I'm not sure it's a colt, not that it matters, he wants a heap more than I want to pay for it

Centaures are not colts, have no association whatsoever with Colt and depending on when or what day they were made range from very nice replicas to barely functional. All of the Italian replicas from that era had similar qc issues.

Most of my figure through life has been all wrong, it was my belief however , that all of the leftover 1860 Colt parts were used to make the 1872 open top for what was called 44 Colt cartridge.

He told me it was made of leftover colt parts but somebody else there said it was not I don't actually remember much about it it didn't look like it had been blued very well.

Maybe the people that sold it to him told to him it was made out of actual colt parts.

over two decades ago I remember trying to select my first cap and ball revolver and was repeatedly told to stay away from the line that carried the colt brand name because they were the most expensive and the sorriest made ones available

I have a beautiful 1860 Pietta. Only problem is it is missing a screw for a buttstock. I am not interested in any trades at this time, but I would take $275 shipped. I accept only USPS money orders. If interested, please send your email address for pictures.

Centaures are not colts, have no association whatsoever with Colt and depending on when or what day they were made range from very nice replicas to barely functional. All of the Italian replicas from that era had similar qc issues.
https://1960nma.org/
Suggest you read up on them a bit. They made in Liege and considered by most to the best of the reproduction. They predate Italian repros. The web site above presents the whole history of how they came to be. The FROCs are fine group of people that collect and shoot the Centaur.

https://1960nma.org/
Suggest you read up on them a bit. They made in Liege and considered by most to the best of the reproduction. They predate Italian repros. The web site above presents the whole history of how they came to be. The FROCs are fine group of people that collect and shoot the Centaur.
They are a fine group of people. I’ve known about the Centaure guns since they were imported into the country, I’ve owned an even dozen, some brand new in the box. Quality, as I found them, was all over the map. Similar to Italian imports of the time. I’ve been shooting replicas and originals for almost 65 years. I wouldn’t be opposed to owning another but I’m pretty particular about the guns I keep.

I have a beautiful 1860 Pietta. Only problem is it is missing a screw for a buttstock. I am not interested in any trades at this time, but I would take $275 shipped. I accept only USPS money orders. If interested, please send your email address for pictures.
Thank you for reply I'll send you my email address when I figure out how to private message you
Steel frame or brass?
Does it have the buttstock with it or just the screw hole for a buttstock?

Thank you for reply I'll send you my email address when I figure out how to private message you
Steel frame or brass?
Does it have the buttstock with it or just the screw hole for a buttstock?
I’m afraid if I had the buttstock I would keep it,LOL. Steel frame,good blue and case colors. I am here:
jmichaelrodri@ gmail.com

Have sent messages to two different membrs here that responded with revolvers for sale please let me know if you got my message
I sent you an email with pics about an hour ago. Let me know if you got it. Thank you, Michael.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back