• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Long Range Muzzle Loading in the UK, 2024

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ResearchPress

45 Cal.
Reaction score
The ‘Asquith Cup’ is the first match of the season and was fired at Bisley on Friday 5 April 2024. Rules for this percussion military muzzle loading rifle competition are for 15 shots at each distance, 600 & 800 yards. Even in calm conditions this is a testing match! This year however there were extremely strong winds forecast (gusts over 40mph), and partial closures were already in place on Stickledown range. Rather than risk cancellation, at least in part, the whole match (30 shots) was fired at 600 yards on Century range. I wasn’t available to shoot in this one, but did get to the range in time to take some photos.

IMG_3283.jpeg

Well the forecast said it would be breezy, and boy were they right! I spent the weekend of 6/7 April with the Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain at Bisley. Saturday was their 500 yard Championship and Sunday 300 yards. Each day there were two matches, one for .577 Enfield rifle and one for muzzle loading target rifle.

With the open sighted Enfield military rifles the only recourse for coping with the wind was to aim off. The adjustable sights of the match rifles allowed for a more consistent hold / sight picture, but the lulls and gusts in wind strength left no option but to aim off at times. A great weekend for learning to cope with difficult conditions, both in the shooting and organisation on the firing point, making sure you kit didn’t blow away!

It was good catching up with friends from the UK and the Netherlands. Chance to share a sport we all enjoy, and a chat over a beer and meal at the Club Houses at Bisley Camp (the National Shooting Centre) in the evenings.

Additional photographs: MLAGB at Bisley, April 2024

news-202404-bisley-mlagb (1).jpeg

David

The ‘Asquith Cup’ is the first match of the season and was fired at Bisley on Friday 5 April 2024. Rules for this percussion military muzzle loading rifle competition are for 15 shots at each distance, 600 & 800 yards. Even in calm conditions this is a testing match! This year however there were extremely strong winds forecast (gusts over 40mph), and partial closures were already in place on Stickledown range. Rather than risk cancellation, at least in part, the whole match (30 shots) was fired at 600 yards on Century range. I wasn’t available to shoot in this one, but did get to the range in time to take some photos.

View attachment 311276

Well the forecast said it would be breezy, and boy were they right! I spent the weekend of 6/7 April with the Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain at Bisley. Saturday was their 500 yard Championship and Sunday 300 yards. Each day there were two matches, one for .577 Enfield rifle and one for muzzle loading target rifle.

With the open sighted Enfield military rifles the only recourse for coping with the wind was to aim off. The adjustable sights of the match rifles allowed for a more consistent hold / sight picture, but the lulls and gusts in wind strength left no option but to aim off at times. A great weekend for learning to cope with difficult conditions, both in the shooting and organisation on the firing point, making sure you kit didn’t blow away!

It was good catching up with friends from the UK and the Netherlands. Chance to share a sport we all enjoy, and a chat over a beer and meal at the Club Houses at Bisley Camp (the National Shooting Centre) in the evenings.

Additional photographs: MLAGB at Bisley, April 2024

View attachment 311280

David
This is sure fun to see and reminds me of the decade I spent in mid range competition, 200 yards offhand,300 yards sitting and 600 yards prone. We used long range black powder buffalo rifles and 500 plus grain lead bullets. Never did get to compete in the long range matches 800,900 and 1000 yards all shot prone.

Back