• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading from a bag for Grins!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the shoot I went to last week all of the tables were already staked out by other shooters when I got there so I just shot the whole match from the bag. 3 different guys offered to make room for my stuff. I just told 'em I was fine. No big deal 'cause I do it all the time. Even when I have a table I'm shooting from the bag, it might be laying on the table tho. And hunting is always done from the bag.

The only problem I have when shooting from the bag at paper target matches is sometimes I forget how many shots I already took. When I have a table I can set the right number of balls out to keep track. I don't want to highjack the topic, but, as a side bar; Anybody got any tips on how they keep track of their shots fired count when shooting from the bag?

Jethro,

When shooting with a ball limit, I count them out ahead of time and keep them in the ball bag. (These competitions typically have a score card noting hits or misses for each shot for each distance so that helps.) I usually have extra balls but keep them in a zip top sandwich bag so they can't get mixed up with the precounted ones. Not fancy but it works.

Jeff

:surrender: Ok guys. Don't get the rope out yet. I'll be the first to admit that when I set up at the range it looks like a rummage sale in the making. Got every thing. Limited only by the fact that my Jeep only holds so much. Every once in a while I actually use some of it, but more times than not, somebody else is borrowing this or that because he forgot to bring his, or didn't think he'd need it. I have saved a few guys from cutting their range time short for the lack of the proper equipment when needed. So if you're ever at the range and need a wiggle pin for your wobble shaft, don't fret, I probably have one. :thumbsup:

Vern

Ancient One reminded me that when the range is likely to be busier, weekends and during our informal monthly competitions, I put an old CVA percusion rifle in the truck along with spare ramrods and the holds-it-all BP box. (I've never weighed it but it's heavy.) More than once I've been approached by folks, often youngsters shooting with Dad or Grandfather, attracted by the smoke. That CVA is sighted in for 50 yards and makes a good teaching tool. I always have sandbags in the truck in case the kids are too small to hold the rifle. During competitions, somebody usually needs something at some point. It's nice to be able to be able to help out the way folks have helped me over the years.

Jeff

PS: 61 years old sure doesn't seem that "ancient" anymore. :grin:

Vern: I also have more tools in my range box than I have ever needed to use on my own guns. But, they get " borrowed" by other club members all the time, and I keep a lot of members shooting that day. They give me a bit of grief about it, as a way of thanking me. :shocked2: But, they also don't hesitate to send any NEW GUY to me if something is wrong with his gun, and he doesn't have the tool to fix it!
:blah: :blah: :rotf: :haha: :surrender: :hmm: :thumbsup:

I dryballed my own gun because of one of these "interruptions". :nono: :shocked2: I still consider that a learning experience. :idunno: :rotf: :haha: :hatsoff:

This is what I'm going to start doing as well at the range, this being my first hunting season w/a flint I'm gonna need to do it prior to hitting the woods.

Jethro224 said:
At the shoot I went to last week all of the tables were already staked out by other shooters when I got there so I just shot the whole match from the bag. 3 different guys offered to make room for my stuff. I just told 'em I was fine. No big deal 'cause I do it all the time. Even when I have a table I'm shooting from the bag, it might be laying on the table tho. And hunting is always done from the bag.

The only problem I have when shooting from the bag at paper target matches is sometimes I forget how many shots I already took. When I have a table I can set the right number of balls out to keep track. I don't want to highjack the topic, but, as a side bar; Anybody got any tips on how they keep track of their shots fired count when shooting from the bag?

I had the same problem. If I'm shooting a 5-shot relay, I'll just put five pre-cut patches in my patch tin at a time.

Nice looking Rig you got there!

I can go either way--with or without all of the dodads. At one club that my son & I belong to we use a big box on a table to shoot at 50 & 100 yards. At another club they do woods-walks, so it out-of-the-pouch! I'm comfortable either way, I just love making smoke! I do like my Rangerod though--even for a woods-walk, as my arthritis in the hands gets beat-up more using the ramrod :( .

Dave

paulvallandigham said:
Vern: I also have more tools in my range box than I have ever needed to use on my own guns. But, they get " borrowed" by other club members all the time, and I keep a lot of members shooting that day. They give me a bit of grief about it, as a way of thanking me. :shocked2: But, they also don't hesitate to send any NEW GUY to me if something is wrong with his gun, and he doesn't have the tool to fix it!
:blah: :blah: :rotf: :haha: :surrender: :hmm: :thumbsup:

I dryballed my own gun because of one of these "interruptions". :nono: :shocked2: I still consider that a learning experience. :idunno: :rotf: :haha: :hatsoff:

Paul,

Been There, Done That, Got The T-Shirt!! :shocked2:

Ancient One said:
:surrender: Ok guys. Don't get the rope out yet. I'll be the first to admit that when I set up at the range it looks like a rummage sale in the making. Got every thing. Limited only by the fact that my Jeep only holds so much. Every once in a while I actually use some of it, but more times than not, somebody else is borrowing this or that because he forgot to bring his, or didn't think he'd need it. I have saved a few guys from cutting their range time short for the lack of the proper equipment when needed. So if you're ever at the range and need a wiggle pin for your wobble shaft, don't fret, I probably have one. :thumbsup:

Vern

Vern, I'm the same way! I carry THREE Rangerods in the trunk, only need one myself. On more occasions than I can count, I've saved somebody's BACON cause I had EVERYTHING, including a complete back-up rifle & acc's :haha: .

Once, during a Woods-Walk, when I left the BIG BOX in the car's trunk, I was shooting out-of-the-pouch and someone dry-balled, then broke his ramrod trying to pull the ball. All of a sudden, nobody seemed to mind me using the Rangerod for my arthritic hands :idunno: , especially since this was a club officer that needed help. He ended-up shooting the ramrod into the woods, and then teaming-up with me to finish the Match :grin: . Kept him "In-The-Game" that day, and he never forgot that! :)

Dave

I agree with Saber..........I like the idea of loading from the loading block and powder horn. Then refill loading block as neccesary from the bag. I do believe I read the Mark Baker uses this method...............Bob

Back