• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Load from the flask into the barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deacon4

36 Cal.
Reaction score
:hmm: Howdy Folks,
Just got my Feb.07 copy of Muzzle Blast magazine from NMLRA and on pg.12 is an Track of the Wolf Inc. advertisement for new G.&J.W. Hawksley's Flask with Sykes Flameproof Valve, English Patent 1814. The photo shows and states you can instantly and safely load direct from the metal flask into the gun barrel. No separate powder measure required.
Wow, I always fiqured that's a no-no! Does anyone out there know if and how they work? I quess you can get your $49.99 back if it doesn't work?
I'm just an old fellow, not up-to-date on the latest, so please fill me in.
Thank Ya Kindly :hatsoff:

Deac'
the problem as I see it, is that you would find out that it didn't work when it exploded. At that point, getting your money back would be way down on your list of priorities

There have been several posts about measuring flasks of this type accumulating very fine BP dust in and around the gate in quantities sufficient to support a flame trail into the flask proper.

I wouldn't risk it

bramble

I think I would pass on that one, I am never in that much of a hurry, I did load my revolvers from a flask with valve but waited a bit between loadings while shooting the spare cylinder.

Deacon. Many years ago, I found out that Track was selling these things, and I even wrote them a letter telling them how dangerous this design was. I personally think its irresponsible and immoral for them to knowingly sell something that can be so dangerous. But, there attitude is, " if we don't sell it, someone else will!"

I will continue to discourage people from buying these horn/measure combination devices. And, If I am working as a range officer, no one is going to load a gun directly from one of these measures on my range. A powder measure that is separated from the horn or flask will be required.

To each his own- some people have to insist on their God Given right to pee on that electric fence.

In the 80's when I bought my first m/l I got one of those with an 80 and 100g spout. It also had a 30g spout for those of you shooting pistols. It was my only powder measure at the time and thank goodness I cleaned between shots.

I learned how to shoot m/l on my own and had no mentor to tell me it was wrong to use that flask that way. I would never use it that way today but back then I didn't know better.

I also didn't use real bp or any of the other things that make this sport as dear to me as it is now. You know stuff like roundballs homemade lube ect...

Ignorance is bliss I am told :v

I agree 100% Paul. Some people just have to push the envelope and eventualy slip up. BP is nothing to fool around with and it's best to pay close attention to everyone around when dealing with any type of firearm.

One fella I know who is a couple of nickels shy of a dollar; actually put smokeless power in his muzzleloader and blew the thing up. He wasn't hurt but he got real lucky. Another guy I knew used to just dump powder down the barrel right out of the can with no measure or anything. Come to think of it I haven't seen him in quite a while.

Okay. I'm aware that I have a tendency to go against the grain. I'm gonna do it again.

I've got a lot of smokepoles and smokewagons, and have had them and used them since the mid '70's. Certainly done a lot of things wrong, and have probably been lucky more than I deserve.

But... I've got one of those "flameproof" Hawksley-Sykes flasks, and I've used it a long time to load my side by side 12 gauge. Directly. I really like it.

I've used a flask or horn attached measure to load directly into my cap & ball revolvers since the beginning. (I made a neck-hung horn measure for my .45 rifle, but it was more of an "in the spirit" thing than for safety.)

I've never had an ember ignite, I've never had a chainfire, I've never had a horn or a flask become a grenade in my hand. Never. Thirty years.

Now, that doesn't mean much. I readily admit that most of these guys here on the forum have more experience and knowledge than I, but that has been my experience. And I have done, and still do, a lot of real black powder shooting.

Take it for what it's worth, which probably ain't much.

:surrender: :v

I believe it was in the last (not the latest) issue of Muzzleloader Magazine that Mike Nesbitt did a review on this flask. I did not really read it all because I was not interested, but from what I did read, he was giving it a :hatsoff: rating.

Back when I would load without swabbing (which I don't do anymore for various reasons) between shots I was dumping a 90 grain charge down the barrel from my measure and I noticed a puff of smoke come out as the powder went down. It didn't light up but the light bulb in my head did. I also don't try to hit a golf ball with a full swing between two big trees when they are real close either anymore.

WWF what you was seeing was the smoke in the barrel being displaced by the powder you were dropping down but as you stated that kind of freaks you out doesn't it?

:nono: Dear Homesteader,
I'm a Deacon of my church, therefor I'll pray for yur safety and hope for the best. Don't tempt fate or the great (BP) power that is.

Wholly smokes, I've always loaded from flask measure directly into the barrel. Now I've went as far as to rig a brass springloaded measure onto a powder horn. It holds about a pound. The horn, not the measure. First thing after every shot is to blow down the barrel like somebody showed me back in the 70's. I've got a new picture of my horn if I can figure out how to load the dang thing on here. Pahaska

i feel there are two types of people that reload from the flask or horn or can. those that have been blown up and those that are going to be blown up.

ayup, what Stumpkiller said.

if you want to buy such things 'cause they look kinda neat, that's fine- i do that sort of silliness myself from time to time.

if you plan to use it, please don't stand next to me or anyone i know when you do.

guess ya learn from expierence,,i honestly don't think most people know what black powder can do..i got bit once,to this day it's a question brought up many times at different shoots by those who witnessed it of why it happen.. anyways i got a real hugh respect for the power of black powder! that hurt! alot! that was maybe 5 years ago? an i can still feel it.. you cannot be careful enough with that stuff!!load from horn? flask? can? no no no no no.. :shocked2: RC

Nobody has mentioned that some clubs DO NOT permit loading from the flask/horn/can under any circumstances. Just not done.
I would most likely switch sides on my horn if I stood next to a "spitter" caplock or flinter. Paranoid maybe but still have what's left of my receeding hair line :shocked2:
R

:) I was told by my old time mentors (60's & 70's) to blow into the barrel, between shots, puts a small amount of moisture inside to possibly dampen the powder residue and make loading easier. Blowing inside could also cause a small powder particle to glow even stronger? I always run a spit patch between shots or a lightly lubed patch (when hunting). Better safe than sorry. I'm surprised Muzzle Blast allows this ad and photo. What's more important, member safety or profits? :shocked2:

Back