• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lewis & Clark HF 1803 #15.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobKrohn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
OK, here's your chance to own a piece of history!
Or at least get some great photos of a historic rifle. Or see it in person if you live close by.
(I have no affiliation with this auction house)
Little John's has the highly controversial Harper's Ferry "Short Rifle" serial #15, that may have been made for Lewis and Clark.

Here's the link:
Link to the item listing with photos

Not in match ready condition!!

Here's the desc

U.S. Model 1800 flintlock rifle serial #15 made at Harper’s Ferry Arsenal
under the direction of Joseph Perkin and pre-dating
any other known specimen made at a National Armory and
presumed to be one of the 15 rifles made for the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
An article published for the American Society of Arms Collectors
by Michael F. Carrick details and documents these short rifles
with barrel lengths of 33” and examines this gun’s construction
in detail and determines it to be a pre-production example
preceding the Army contract.
Also, it mentions a .54 caliber and variations in construction of rib and rear thimble.
This article is well-written and researched and refers to an article
by Richard Keller and Ernest Cowan entitled “The Short Rifle of Lewis & Clark”.
This article discusses this rifle, #15, and states that it is a Model 1800
made in the first 11 months of 1803. This article and the prior article
provide convincing theory that this Model existed and was produced
under Perkin’s supervision for the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
This rifle was recently discovered by a Salt Lake City collector
who purchased it from a man who had acquired it in St. Louis approx. 40 years ago;
neither knew of its rarity. An exact copy termed continued production Model 1800
by “Rifles of Distinction” located in Jones, Oklahoma numbered 15 to match
and in mint condition in included in the lot along with production and research info
from these well recognized rifle smiths.
The rifle remains in untouched relic condition with no hammer
and period replaced patch box and many small repairs with filling of wood.
The lock plate and barrel appear to have been made ready to convert
to Flint but not converted probably due to wear
(It just would not have made sense to convert a worn out gun and gunsmith
just quit the project). In closing we would like to state there are differences
of opinion by experts on what rifles or muskets were carried by Lewis & Clark
after reading the articles by Carrick, Keller & Cowan we are convinced
there is a strong circumstantial case that this rifle was on the
Lewis & Clark Expedition. All experts do agree that this is the earliest known
proven example of a military rifle made at a National Armory.
A museum quality display. Est.: $75,000-$150,000.

Neat display. But that's a lot of cabbage for a gun that is in pieces. How would one know that these parts were once part of the same gun?? If they descrbe this partial collection of parts as "untouched relic condition" what would "touched" relic condition look like? Oh well, I'll not be a potential bidder on any $75K guns in this lifetime, so what do I know. :idunno:

All you Lewis & Clark fans- what do you think? Is this the rifle carried on the expedition?

How would one know that these parts were once part of the same gun??

My thought exactly. The display box is probably worth a hundred dollars or so.
If you don't have the $75,000.00 to bid in. I'll be happy to sell you this 'authentic' Lewis and Clark tomahawk for only $5,000.00.
LCtomahawk.jpg
[/img]

You may not believe this but my agent will be bidding at that auction for that very rifle. I am confident it will then be hung on the wall of my den.

:blah:

Greg

The only thing that we know is that nobody knows. HF 1803, 1792, M134 miniguns.....we'll probably never know.
That won't stop people from arguing about it, though.

stormcrow said:
If they descrbe this partial collection of parts as "untouched relic condition" what would "touched" relic condition look like? Oh well, I'll not be a potential bidder on any $75K guns in this lifetime, so what do I know. :idunno:

I would not call a miscellaneous collection of parts in a shadow box a rifle in "untouched relic condition".

To all

One of the problems with being a moderator is it sometimes makes me a stick in the mud right when everyone is having fun.

I understand the purpose of this topic is to educate folks and to show something that might have a historical past but the links are violating rule #23 which says:

"Do not post links to auction items (yes, this includes the name of the domain and the item number)."

Please feel free to continue the discussions and if there are any photos of the gun from an acceptable source feel free to post them.

Back