• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Letting others shoot your rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJB22

40 Cal.
Reaction score
How do you feel about letting others shoot your rifles? Here lately my various guns have been interesting others when I shoot. I am feeling different about people asking me nowdays.

I have just got back into the smokers in the last year or so. I have bought two custom rifles and one replica pistol to go along with my older (in my younger days) black powder guns; a 1858 Rem replica and a 58 cal mountain capper rifle). I also own quite a large collection of modern guns that I enjoy at a private club that I shoot at. I have noticed more folks have asked to shoot my stuff lately. I have always wanted to pass on the shooting sports to others and if I can put a reliable/safe gun in someones hands to watch them smile, I enjoy seeing that. As I am getting older and more focused in enjoying my time at the range (seems like it is never enough), I just feel differently about it. I don't know if I am being a butthead about it-- maybe I am just nervous about giving over my babies, maybe its not wanting to run the risk of something happening to the guns or the person if something goes wrong. I used to ask the same from others and enjoyed getting the opportunity to shoot new and quality guns. I still am willing to let folks shoot my 22s or a 9mm or something, but my BP guns have been mine--all--mine here recently. Help me out on this. :hmm:

I let interested people shoot my BP guns.If I can help get more interested, all the better.I have a private range and at times have groups of locals out for a shoot. The BP guns are a big hit with shooters of modern guns and if they are interesed,they leave with the basic knowlage of loading and firing one of my guns. I say share the sport.

If it gets to the point where you don't get to shoot 'cause everybody else is shooting your gun it could be annoying. One or two shots each for two or three people is fun tho.

If I'm working on loads or doing something serious I don't want to be bothered. But if I'm just out to have fun I welcome people to shoot my BP rifles, especially youngsters. GW

. oct 24 / 1:15am

i've noticed that there are "lurkers" at public ranges who just happen to show up at my station as i finish reloading.. they have a wide-eyed "wow, what's that.." look and stand there waiting for the invitation to try it - free, of course.

so now i look them over very carefully and if they're just looking for a free shot, i ask them if they can load it first and if they know anything about bp after that.. get one question wrong and all they get is a history lesson.. get both right and i tell them where they can buy one just like it.. get both wrong, and they probably really are interested in blackpowder so they get both a history lesson and one free shot.. you can't give this away like candy anymore what with the costs of powder, lead, caps, and the weapon all on the rise.

we need to expand the user population desperately, but i don't think that means we have to be suckers and hand out our investment in time and materials as a fixed cost.

~d~

JJB22 said:
How do you feel about letting others shoot your rifles?

As long as I am right there with them and I am the one who loads it, I will let someone else shoot it.

I will bend over backwards to show people that have interest in BP guns how to get into it. I do have a couple firearms that nobody but me is going to shoot. I also have some that anyone can shoot and I will stand right there and watch them go through the process. I can't count the number of people I have helped get started in flintlocks.

I don't lend rifles out to others anymore though. I will help them find one if they are looking to buy one. As I get older I am actually looking around for people to leave some of my favorites to when I pass; mostly relatives, but there are others as well.

Loosen-up! You're right to feel a little concerned about turning into a curmudgeon. I went back and read your post three times before I posted this. Looks to me as if an "alarm-bell" went off in your head and made you do the post in the first place. Listen to your "nice side" and please continue to promote the sport to others. We need all of the help we can get nowadays to keep this sport of ours alive and well!

When explaining black powder shooting to others new to the sport I've started to "let-it-slip" what the expenses are in round-about terms: "about 50 cents for a patched round ball, and about $1.00 per Maxi-Ball". I've had folks give me a piece of fruit, a soda or water, etc. in appreciation of the mini-lesson and live firing exercise. This helps defray the expense, and makes the experience more enjoyable to both sides, without the need for a "tip-jar" on the shooting bench :wink:

I don't know about you, but I seem to get as much enjoyment letting someone shoot my black powder guns and watching for that smile on their face, as I do enjoying the solitude when I'm all alone doing the same thing.

Thanks for posting this...you're probably not the only person who feels this way. Take a "measure" of the person that wants to shoot one of your "babies", and if your "Gut" says maybe not, then invite them to continue watching you and say something like "I'm sighting her in for my eyes before the big match, and you're welcome to stay and watch". Just remember to not "blow them off" IF that curmudgeon sticks his head out of the fox hole :wink: .

Have a great time at the range :thumbsup:

Dave

Nobody has ever asked me to allow them a shot with my ml gun or any other kind of gun. Interested bystanders often que up to watch us shoot a match at the club. Same if I'm just having a range day.

If I have the time I will offer to let them have a shot and they always accept. My own rules are; I load the gun, they wear eye protection.

I have had modern shooters approach me and ask to shoot over my chronograph when they see it set up. Once again, if I have time and it does not interfere with my shooting plan for the day, I will either shoot their gun over my chrono for them or allow them to do it after they hand me a $100 dollar bill with the understanding that if they shoot the chrono it was a $100 dollar shot. :)

That said, the only person who has ever shot my chrono is me! :rotf:

As long as I am there I let others shoot some of my rifles. I feel it generates a bit of interest in the guns and they may go on to get into it more.

I loaned my .36 squirrel rifle to a friend of mine a month ago. He wanted to shoot a squirrel rifle event and had not brought his. I was shooting pistol so told him he could use mine. He shot it and managed to kick me out of first place. Oh well...

As long as I am right there with them and I am the one who loads it, I will let someone else shoot it.
[/quote]

I agree. I have had several guys ask to shoot. I even have a close lawyer friend that has a 50cal. cap lock that needed help with it. He was over to our private range for the afternoon and it was a good leaning session for both us. I never could talk him into hunting with it. He just felt it wasn't enough gun. But he still likes to shoot.

When at the range if I see people drooling over my flintlocks I invite them to shoot, to see the smile on their faces! At certain reenactments & Dog & Pony shows by insurance regulations I am not allowed to release control of a firelock to
the public. If I hand over a musket to a customer
so they can feel the weight, I hold on to the sling.
When I go to an event where there is live fire,
If I have an uncommon fire lock like a wheel lock, Matchlock or Ferguson Rifle I let everyone there shoot it until I run out of ammo! To date when I have live fired the Ferguson I bet over the last five years near 500 people have shot my Ferguson! But thats just me!
:thumbsup:

Yea, I don't want to turn into a fuddy-dudddy about this. I guess I have seen too many people treating guns badly at the shows lately. You know; picking them up without permission, waving them around, taking aim at someone on the upper floor, wrist slamming revolvers shut.... I just about have a heart attack when I see this things. I thought more about this this morning and realize that I love to teach others my excitement about shooting and I have given my gun over to others many times. I really don't think about the money when I shoot. It is not uncommon to go through 50 shots in my BPs a day and I have spent many of times in my old days shooting 400-500 rounds-- twice a week to practice for one kind of event or another with center-fire guns. I just had a little devil on my shoulder lately telling me not to be more cautious with the custom rifles. I did not build them but I know a ton a hard work went into the things. I have to remember my youth when I had but one rifle and wondered at those fellas with "all those guns"--- I guess sometimes that is me now---- I guess everything comes full circle.

ozark57 said:
I let interested people shoot my BP guns.If I can help get more interested, all the better.I have a private range and at times have groups of locals out for a shoot. The BP guns are a big hit with shooters of modern guns and if they are interesed,they leave with the basic knowlage of loading and firing one of my guns. I say share the sport.

Bill, let me know the next time you do a local shoot. ML Casey

I get attention every time I'm at a public range. If someone shows genuine interest in the rifle I say, "Would you like to try a shot?" I want to spread the satisfaction of such a rifle and I enjoy the interaction with other shooters.

I'm with the scarecrow. I want to encourage others, but I don't want trouble..Hank

regardless, I will be the one cleaning it when done, and I do "allow" others to shoot my "babies" but also the bag with measure, balls and patches goes with it. Never for a period of time outside our shooting day.

I do have other guns, like a cva hawkin and an old jukar virginia that I have just for the purpose of this topic!
I encourage others to enter this game of ours and also remember that it was someone else that put a gun into my hands and provided all the stuff and said "go for it!"

basically my rules are simple...
no fake powder or pellets and no "hot" loads.

If anything that I am real "anal" about, its my sights. dont adjust them and dont treat the gun in a manner that they will get banged around.

I'm lucky, when my Uncle and I go early in the morning, we usually have a good 2 hours before the black rifle guys show up. We have two houses and the pistol guys in the other house seem to be the only other guys who get to the range that early.

So we are pretty much winding down by the time someone comes. I get a lot wows hoo's ahhh's but it generally turns into a discussion about the gun and and a careful examination. I think only one or two guys actually took me up on shooting my .58 or smoothbore. And then, only once or twice, so I'm never bothered at our place. I don't mind at all showing them off or letting people who most likely never shot a flinter, shoot mine. We just don't see as many guys at the range like most of you.

i've occasionally been asked, and i try to be as accomodating as possible, but i load it.

i've only offered to actually loan a rifle once, and the fellow decided to pass and use his in- line instead.

do what's in your comfort zone, but remember that every time anyone shows up on a range with a ML, he or she is a de facto ambassador.

Back