• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Legal bullets in Colorado?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duck911

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Sorry, I'm cross posting this from the hunting forum, just no one looking over there :winking:

I'm new to the ML game (just bought a TC Omega last week) and I'm going to be working up loads SOON for deer season in Colorado!

I have a question about the Colorado regulations. They state, "b. Must be single-barrel that fires a single round-ball or conical projectile the length of which does not exceed twice the diameter."

So, any sabot is out of the question in Colorado. Problem is, the regs imply that no conical can be any longer than 1 inch for a .50 cal muzzleloader. (twice the diameter of a .50 cal projective would be one inch)

The sporting goods store here is pushing all kinds of powerbelts that looks longer than an inch (although I haven't actually measured yet.) Many of the lead conicals also looks longer than an inch.

I guess the real solution is to take a damned RULER to the store.

Does anyone have any insight as to decent projectiles that would work and be legal in Colorado? Although I'll measure, I suspect that even with a bullet like the powerbelts, some may *barely* be legal and some may *barely* be illegal. What a slippery slope.

It looks to me like my best options will be a powerbelt, Hornady Great Plains lead conical, or a T/C Maxi-Hunter, but I am guessing here because I am a beginner. I'm not looking for the magic potion, I know I have to work up a load. Just don't know where to start. :confused:

thanks in advance,

--Duck911

Welcome to the forum! Unless I am mistaken, the Omega is an inline muzzleloader. Since this site is intended for traditional type muzzleloaders (ie. sidelocks not inlines) you may not get a tremendous amount of information regarding that specific rifle. That having been said, TC makes a fantastic product and they stand behind them. I am sure that you will get plenty of enjoyment out if that rifle once you get it's particulars all worked out.

While I am far from knowledgeable about the use of conicals, I would suggest that you start out with either Maxi Balls or Maxi Hunters as that is what TC produces. Does the manual give recommendations with regards to projectiles? I assume that the twist on your rifle is fast, so that would preclude the use of a roundball.

Duck911 said:
I guess the real solution is to take a damned RULER to the store.
--Duck911

No need to schlep a ruler around. You can use two projectiles side by side to gauge the length of a third round...

Call your local Fish and Game. Get the info directly from the people who enforce the regulations. This is probably the best way.

A question for you: What is wrong with using a roundball??

Duck911 said:
I have a question about the Colorado regulations. They state, "b. Must be single-barrel that fires a single round-ball or conical projectile the length of which does not exceed twice the diameter."

Question for you. Are you putting in for a Muzzleloader only hunt or just wanting to use your muzzleloader in a regular hunt. Not sure what Colorado regs say, but in Oregon, we have a Muzzleloader season and regular season. For Muzzleloader only, there are similar restrictions on the type bullet, plus iron sights only. For regular season the restrictions do not apply. You can use a muzzleloader put a scope on it and use sabots...
Scott

I guide here in CO,
You can use PRB,lead bullets (maxie balls) and powerbelts.
I won't guide anybody using powerbelts.
They suck!!
No weight retention, horrible and inconsistent accuracy,
A very !! inhumain bullet that should be outlawed.
I have seen time and time again powerbelts failing on elk. Even with a lung shot.
any body that says otherwise is full of it. I feel that strongly about it.

Any of the standard, commonly marketed conicals will work for Colorado Elk... Hornady Great Plains, Buffalo Bullet, T/C Maxi-Hunters and Maxi-Balls, White Buckbusters and Colorado Specials. With a .54 that come out to somewhere in the range of 435 grains. In .50's it varies from 370 to 385 grains. In .58's it is the 525 to 555 grain bullets. What they don't want are the extra long bullets like the White 600-grain and 480-grains .50's or some custom bullets. Ditto, ditto, ditto on the PowerBelts. Junk...absolute junk for elk or larger animals. They have a miserable record for shattering and fragmenting.

I called in a big 6x6 for a client two years ago, It was in heavley treed timber so he coulden't shoot until the bull was 20yrds away, he was using a 400grn powerbelt power tip. ( not hollow point) when he shot the elk went down I thought he had spined it so I was very adiment about him reloading. The bull jumped up and ran. I new then it wasen't spined and figured the bull was off balance when my client shot and that we would find him mortally wonded. After tracking him for 6 hours with no!! blood trail I opted to go back to camp and give him a rest until the next day.
This was in dark timber on soft wet soil so I could read his track very well. He showed no signe of any kind of wound, we had been filming the hunt so that night we studied the shot, The bull was!! clearley shot in the sholder in the blade. The bullet should have passed through and into the lung. The next day I tracked him into another heard of elk and lost him. two weeks later I glassed him at tree line limping but not dead.
Honestly this is one of many stories I have personaly seen with my own eyes.
That bullet is a inhumaine curse and should be baned on large big boned game! :cursing:
I have seen a calf elk shot at close range and the bullet flatened out to a quarter and barley made it past the first lung.
I have personally shot it with many load combonations with horribile resultes.
Always!! at least two fliers in a five shot string and I mean three to six inches out of the group. And I can shoot.
I have pleaded with our local game afficials but of that a dispaire.
So nobody in my camp is allowed to use it.

Greenmtnboy said:
I guide here in CO,
You can use PRB,lead bullets (maxie balls) and powerbelts.
I won't guide anybody using powerbelts.
They suck!!
No weight retention, horrible and inconsistent accuracy,
A very !! inhumain bullet that should be outlawed.
I have seen time and time again powerbelts failing on elk. Even with a lung shot.
any body that says otherwise is full of it. I feel that strongly about it.

They are the #1 selling ML projectile in the world. They must of achieved that rank because they suck real bad. :hmm: :hmm:

Back on topic, unless your conicals are beyond 400 grains, there's no need to measure them because they are legal. Otherwise, grab your ruler & take measurement. Don't blame some poster at[url] muzzloadingforum.com[/url] if you get a citation/ticket for having an illegal bullet.

Do your own measuring homework in order to "stay legal" in Colorado. That way, you can't place the blame elsewhere. :nono:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I guess that just goes to show you how easly missled the general hunting population is by fancy TV advertising.
I also never said they woulden't on deer size game with thin skin.
But myself and many other guides and elk hunters think they are the worse thing that ever to big game comunity!! :cursing:
I kinda have my doubts that they are the # one sold projectile because where it is legal to use most people opt to use sabots for superior down range balistics

Precision Rifle Custom Muzzleloader Bullets has bullets that specificaly meet the requirments for Colorado. They also have a couple page explanation of that rule here is the link if you want to take a look.[url] http://www.prbullet.com/[/url]
Just scroll down and look under conical bullets on the bottom.
Hope this helps.
Kyle :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
What part of colorado u hunting? im hunting area 15 near wolcot. seeing how its an omega. NO SCOPES! NO PELLET POWDER AND NO SABBOTS!! .50 must fire a round ball or conical 170 grains or better. If great than .50 caliber, the bullet must be 210 grains or more. You may want to try the powerbelts, and hurry! its coming up soon. if you are shooting dee 245 grain powerbelts with 120 grains will do perfectly. Sight in for 100 yards and then shoot at 150 so you know how much your bullet drop is. good luck!

Back