• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lee Modern Target Design Minie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilgrim64

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Is anyone using the Lee Modern Target Minie? if it is designated as a target bullet, why would I not want to use this to hunt with? I would prefer to be shooting the most accurate bullet I can. Any comments appreciated as usual. I am using a .50 Hawken 1:48 twist. Thanks.

I have never fired one. I wonder if the skirt is thin? If so very much powder would blow the skirt and be inaccurate. I know you don't need a bunch of powder but it is something to consider. Since it is for target work seems like it would have thin skirts. Larry Wv

I'd track down a handful of them to try before buying the mold. I'm so happy with their improved minie, it would take a huge improvement before I'd even think of using one. Just being cheap.

How accurate is the improved minnie for you? I am interested in how far out you feel it is accurate for deer? what groups you get AND do you use straight lead when you cast them? any info appreciated.

from the pictures the imroved mini looks identical to the mini dixie used to sell in the seventies for smaller calibers. I used their 45 minis on deer out to 145 yrds. ( I had a woodpile for a steady rest and younger eyes then ). At 145 yrds I shot through a large does taking out two ribs, breaking the back and crippled a small buck standing behind her that I did not see untill the doe went down and it started floping down the hill, where I found it and finished it off. So I would assume the 50 caliber would be satisfactory out to 150 yrds with no problem if you can shoot accurately at that range.

I only shot the improved minnie out to 75 yards before I ran out. But I was getting 2-3" groups at that range. I'm sure it's easily a 100 yard deer gun, but I just don't shoot that far.

Once it quits raining and I turn out some more of them with my own mold, I'm sure to try them further and with a little more powder just because I'm curios by nature. But for the time being I just look out the window and pout.

And definitely cast them out of pure lead! Anything harder is not likely to allow the skirt to spread and seal the bore when you fire. If you've got a tight fit like I'm going for with my .578 mold, it might even be too hard to seat them.

Just to be sure we are all talking about the same thing, here is what they look like;

The Lee Version of the CW Minie (I don't know if its a correct replica)
minie.jpg

The Lee improved minie design
impminie.jpg

The Lee modern minie target design.
modminie.jpg

My only experience with the modern minie target design was in a .58 caliber that my wife hunted with. She killed a mulie buck with it at about 40 yards or so. It was a texas heart shot and brought the buck down on the spot. She loaded 60 grains off ffg. The load was not selected for accuracy, but for low recoil.

They were pretty accurate. We found that wiping after each shot improved the accuracy a bunch.

I read where wad-cutter type bullets look great on the target due to a clean hole they make - but are not ideal out past 40-50 yards.

WE call it the trash can and it has been around for a long time. What it dose is cut a clean hole like a wad cutter making it easier to see holes in the target. It also works well in a stake event. Look at the weight of this thing. it is quite heavy. I tried it a few time from a mold a friend lent me. It kicks hard. my musket need 48 grn min to push it out to 100yrds w/ any Accuary as a target round, at least in mine If you want a wad cutter stile go w/ The Rcbs Hodgens bullet and order the deep base plug.

Well, you have to load a little heavier charges for a plain base to expand to the rifling. Maybe you could load it backwards. Oughta get great expansion. :bull:

Back