• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Last of the Mohicans (Training Video)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDobbs

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just thinking how many of you ever came across this video from training for the 35th regiment?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsbg1NtWuU0

Other than the muskets looking more like short land pattern, I can't really comment on the formations and commands. I can't imagine Dale Dye training them incorrectly but.. How does this compare with how your unit trains?

I only wish there were that many reenactors at every event, that would be a sight!

Sonofabeotch ever fired his musket from the rank behind me at arms length, muzzle next to my head like that, I swear I would not be responsible for my actions.

The moron NCO's, but I repeat myself, forgot to close ranks and should not have done a volley fire w/three ranks in any case.

Wow, first place they are doing "street firing" drill at the beginning, but "passing through" the lines, which is not how that was done. They either need to be farther apart, or to march the hole front line to the rear while the other two lines move up. (I suspect some CW shooters and drill contamination of the flintlock drill here)

Wrong bayonet drill
Wrong musket positions when marching and firing
Wrong facing movement
Wrong distance movement
Wrong "present" firelocks
Wrong "order" of firelocks, and improperly used command
Wrong "rest" firelocks position.

Too painful for me to watch past 19 minutes

I'm pretty sure that's Dale Dye in the Royal Marine Commando beret and the wife beater shirt... using modern terms to train the men. Improper commands from wrong musket positions, and they are supposed to be British or French soldiers...

The reason that he has so many "alibi" shooters is because they are shooting flintlocks, not because the boys forgot to cock their piece. He may be "the most famous military technical advisor of all time" but I'm sorry to say my brother Marine "screwed the pooch" on this assignment. Probably got paid a lot of money but the "product" that he delivered bordered on theft (imho-hbc) :barf:

IF they are total novices to flintlock muskets there is no reason to use modern terms. The proper terms and proper commands are not more confusing than the modern terminology designed for modern weapons when it comes to novices.

LD

Alden said:
Sonofabeotch ever fired his musket from the rank behind me at arms length, muzzle next to my head like that, I swear I would not be responsible for my actions.

The moron NCO's, but I repeat myself, forgot to close ranks and should not have done a volley fire w/three ranks in any case.

:shocked2: :doh: :shake:

I wouldn't ever stand for a greenhorn standing behind me with a loaded musket in the first place. Actually not even a good friend with experience handling a gun.

Back