• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

kit pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrubbs

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Used to see pistol kits in every magazine by just about every maker or importer. Very few available; Lyman,couple of pederssoli's, and tracks hawken. Any others left? Most are the Kentucky. CVA doesnt offer them on their web

.. jan 2 / 23:25

hey, scrubbs:

if you have a copy of dixie's catalog, on page 20 (2009 version) there is a list of 'handgun' kits which includes:
3 howdahs
6 kentucky style
1 queen anne
1 harpers ferry
1 brass derringer
2 walkers
1 brass 1851 navy
1 steel 1851 navy
4 remmingtons
1 army 1860
1 spiller & burr
1 rogers & spencer
2 'lyman' great plains
1 'traditions' kentucky
6 'classic arms'
2 'deer creek'
plus a few novelties

i haven't looked for each nor do i know if they are still available but that would be more a matter of your personal taste and budget.

keep in mind that each might require tools and skill levels from 1-entry to 2-intermediate.

you can also look up almost any of them by going to their home page and following » General Merchandise » Guns - Kits.

hope that helps,
:hatsoff: ~d~

I built this one from a Traditions kit. The lock is junk but it works, the bore is good and the balance and hang are very good. The target shown was shot at 25 yard and are the very first five shots with the first load that came to mind, a .440" ball, spit lubed pillow ticking and 15 grains of 3f Goex.
pioneerjpg1.jpg

one of the nicest Pa parts sat is JimChambers a good hunting and good shooter can be had in 45,50, and 54 cal with a 13inch barrel

Twice I wrote to Traditions about their crocket pistol and colonial pistol. If they included the lock having a bridle and fly and added a single set trigger, they would have darn good match guns.

Never even got a response.

Thats a braggin group for sure! Ive seen traditions do very well in some matches.

scrubbs said:
Thats a braggin group for sure! Ive seen traditions do very well in some matches.
That was just the first five shots, it has since shot better groups with a .445" ball. I had just knocked the sights into the dovetails until they looked about centered and the very first shot was in the ten ring. :haha:
I also was amazed that 15 grains of 3f Goex clocked over 900 fps average for 5 shots.

Chris Altland bought out Bill Kennedy's set-up http://www.firelockpistols.com/

SUPER kits from original guns. Only quality parts.

The only other pistol kit makers I would consider other than above might be those from ML Builder's Supply or the one Jim Chambers has if a KY is desired. Chris is at the top of the heap due to the amount of correct styles, sterling or brass parts, and overall quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deer Creek has Traditions kits. I got a Kentucky Flint kit in the mail yesterday, cost less than $200 bucks.
Ok so I know it's not the greatest pistol in the world but for me it was that or nothing. I am happy with it and if I have to tinker with the lock some thats ok by me

Back