• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kentucky Rifle on a budget

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentuckyTAL

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum & muzzleloading, and I have a question for you seasoned black powder flint lock shooters.
I do a lot of shooting, but it's with modern handguns and revolvers.
If a guy had $800.00 and was looking for a 50 cal. flintlock Kentucky Rifle, and wanted the most bang for the buck, where would you tell him to look?
I wouldn't be afraid to buy something "in the white", but anything beyond that may be out of my skill range.
Thanks in advance for the advice.
Tim

You might find something used in the classifieds section here on the forum if you keep an eye out.

For new, in the white would probably be your best bet. Try checking Sitting Fox or TVM. You can find links on the "Member Resources" section of the forum. I'm not sure if they have anything in that price range but they might be close.

Or you could look at the finished production guns from Pedersoli.

I'm with cowpoke. I shouldered the rifle in the store and was suprised how stable it felt. It swung smoothly. I shoot a lot of GM 32 " barrels and expected the longer 39" Blue Ridge to be unwieldy but it felt great.

One review on the Cabels's website indicated the barrel is designed to be removable by removing a few screws that attach the stock. I like this because I want to remove the barrel for cleaning. I think the original KY Rifle system required several pins to attach the stock and removing the barrel was a little more challanging. Many purists clean the barrel while still in the stock.

This will be my next rifle

KV Rummer said:
I'm with cowpoke. I shouldered the rifle in the store and was suprised how stable it felt. It swung smoothly. I shoot a lot of GM 32 " barrels and expected the longer 39" Blue Ridge to be unwieldy but it felt great.

One review on the Cabels's website indicated the barrel is designed to be removable by removing a few screws that attach the stock. I like this because I want to remove the barrel for cleaning. I think the original KY Rifle system required several pins to attach the stock and removing the barrel was a little more challanging. Many purists clean the barrel while still in the stock.

This will be my next rifle

I have a Perdersoli Frontier in 50 cal, but it's the same gun with a Cabelas label. Everything you say is on the mark. It's well made and surprisingly easy to handle in spite of the 39" barrel. Accurate as can be, and reliable, too.

I do think however, that the little extra paid for a TVM gives you a whole lot more gun for your money unless you can find the Pedersoli/Cabelas used for a lot less. Lots more choices in styles, as well as calibers and custom features if you want to pay even more. The TVM site is here.

Go with TVM, you won't regret it. However, the rifles from TVM are not built until you order. That way you get what you ask for. This also means there is a waiting period of perhaps 8 months. Give TVM a call and ask what the waiting period is now.

Kentucky,
It's worth giving TVM a call, they "sometimes" have rifles in stock that are ready to go. I know a budget is a budget but for the difference you would be way ahead.
Mark

Kentucky on a budget :hmm: You may need to go with a Tennessee (?) or a "poor boy" style. The Pedersoli line has a few nice looking rifles, may not pass inspection at some of the more strict gatherings but that may come later. I have a flintlock pistol made by Pedersoli and would do fine at the level of places I go to. It really will depend on what you want to do. If it's just shooting at the range and whatever doesn't matter what some folks may say. Caliber will play a major factor, smaller calibers means less lead and powder in the long run. Larger caliber means "cutting" the ten ring is easier but a .75 caliber hole in the 8 ring is just as far away as a .32 hole in the 8 ring as well. It would be best to have a one on one talk with someone so questions get asked and answered by both parties.

A factory rifle will be fine.

I'm purchasing a Traditions Kentucky Rifle from someone in the classified section for $200.00.
It's not a flintlock, but I think it will be a good gun for me to get the feel for BP rifles, with little investment.

I've looked at the Sitting Fox website, and I will check out the TVM site.

Is a "Southern Rifle" considered a "Kentucky Rifle"?

I really like the looks of the Sitting Fox K43 Southern Mountain Poor Boy Hog 50.
I was quoted $799.00 for this rifle, with a flintlock, in the white.

Thanks for all the advice.

Tim

Never buy a production flintlock, because they usually do not have the proper flint breech, but just a modified percussion breech system.
I paid big money for a flinter from Pedersoli 18 years ago and it was the biggest disappointment I ever had. Made me darn near quit Muzzleloading alltogether. I have no clue why these people did not install the proper breech and i guess they still don't do it.
A few winters ago I made a Pedersoli-Lancaster conversion for a winter project:
Result: With a proper flint breech, these guns would be pretty good. The flintlocks on the pedersoli hatfield is usually a flint-eater because the flint hits at the wrong angle on the frizzen. I'll replace it this winter with a chambers gun-builders lock and I think this is all I can do to make this rifle even better than it is now.
Don't waste your money on production guns in flint!!!

I had a flint petroseli in 45 caliber that gave me fits. I made three modifications and it is really great now. 1. I sanded the frizzen spring to lighten the force needed to open. This eliminated the breaking flints. 2. I enlarged the powder chamber to .375 diameter. This prevented the flash in the pan/hang fires. 3. I coned the vent to insure proper ignition. I coned the vent the same time I enlarged the powder chamber so I don't know if only one would have solved the hang fire problem. :idunno: :idunno:

I second Jethro's suggestion to keep your eye on the classifieds. I've seen a couple of really fine looking guns on the classifieds at rock bottom prices that were not much more money than the parts would bring. Admittedly, those deals get snatched up within an hour or three of the posting but you do see some great deals here and I'm sure it helps the seller move on to their next project in most cases.

Consider buying a used rifle off a trade blanket. Folks change their ideas about what they want to re-enact, or just have to have that custom knife/blanket/tomahawk/whatever and sell off good stuff sometimes.

Call Tip Curtis Frontier Shop (615) 654-4445 and see what Tip has on hand. He will have about 75 rifles built In-the_White & all ya have to do it brown & finish them. Could possibly have something you can work with & get yerself a fine rifle on a low budget.

Keith Lisle

For those of you looking for a reasonable there are a couple of nice rifles on the CLA web site. One for $%00, and another for $1200.

Bill

Back