• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just One Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never felt that my accuracy at normal ranges has much of anything to do with the rifle I happen to pick up that day, assuming the inherent accuracy of the rifle is about the same. The shot is the shot.

At extended ranges, where I'm being more intuitive about the drop, then my familiarity can make a significant difference. But I rarely shoot out that far.

For archery (traditional), it can make a much bigger difference. But shooting fundamentals aside, the entire sighting method is intuitive at all ranges, for the most part. But I'll credit that to the sighting system (gap) rather than the shooting fundamentals.

Back in the late 80’s, the mountain man club I belonged to held their annual shoot. Just prior to the shoot, I had picked up a CVA mountain rifle kit at a local sporting goods store that was going out of business for $75. I put it together in a day (and it looked like it too), but I was in a hurry to shoot it as I didn’t want to have to borrow one from my friend again. With a week to spare before the shoot, I went out every night after work and shot it. I filed the front sight until I had it dead on at 50 yards. With the exception of one or two gongs at a distance further than that, the remaining ones were 50 yards or less. Long story short, I ended up winning the shoot and a nice, new Lyman Plains rifle. As I could never match the accuracy of the CVA with it, I ended up selling it as I was a newly married college student. That ugly, quickly thrown together CVA could just plain shoot! Down the road a few years, I ended up parting with it and moving on to something I thought was bigger and better, but 35 years later, I’d give anything to have it back.

Last edited:
I have always been a 2 gun person. A a smoothbore and a rifle. I got away from rifle shooting the last 9 years and only shot smoothbore. Now I am shooting both again. The only probelm is remembering the trigger pull from 1 to the other

Ok, so, this little test went quickly out the window. I should have known better. I like too many types of muzzleloaders to be tied down to just one. Especially like the one below. A Chambers .62 caliber smooth bore.

35 yards, just plinking, off hand
60 grains of Wano 3f
.600 home cast lead round balls
Spit lubed jute tow wadding over powder and over ball

It’s just hard to beat a well made flintlock smooth bore. Fun to shoot, easy to maintain, versatile and very easy to clean.

Attachments

• 1D26141B-D182-497D-BB89-6BA589146E96.jpeg
    1D26141B-D182-497D-BB89-6BA589146E96.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Back