• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just getting started with Black Powder Rifles.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hear Hear! I'll second that last comment! The folks on this forum have scads of knowledge and are kind enough to share it. My thanks to them for having provided me guidance, and to our forum host for making this kind of positive interchange possible!

The biggest problem with real Black Powder is it is not easily found in Gun Stores in a lot of citys. Ordering it from Mail Order houses is also rather expensive because of the Hazardous Shipping fees.

Zonie - as always - is correct. I am hoping that by keeping blackpowder in the spotlight that folks will pester their dealers enough to encourage them to carry it regardless of the extra storage and shipping precautions. I go in and ask for blackpowder and if they tell me they don't carry it I ask: "Well then, is there a real sporting goods store in the area that I could shop at?"

I go in and ask for blackpowder and if they tell me they don't carry it I ask: "Well then, is there a real sporting goods store in the area that I could shop at?"

I could just hear them now at the 1832 rendezvous...

man.gif

ren.gif

Went into the big city today and bought some black powder
(Goex) and round balls (.490) and already had some .018
lubricated cloth pieces. Does this match up? are the
round balls and cloth about the proper size for each other?

If you're stuffing them in a .50 cal you're in tall cotton. Might ba a little tight, but not enough to be a real problem.

I've been having very good luck with the Natural Lube 1000+/ Bore Butter as a patch lube. Some of the pre-lubed use this.

The .018 patches will just make starting the ball/patch into the barrel a little harder to do.
Like I said, you should have a "short starter" to get the ball/patch started in the barrel. If you don't have one, use a 2X2X2 block of wood.
Start the ball/patch in the bore with your thumb. Put the wood block on top of the ball and give it a good pound with your free hand. The .018 patch will just require a little "gooder" pound than the .015 patch I mentioned earlier.

Some say a tight patch/ball combination like you have is more accurate, but ole Zonie (me) has found that each gun seems to like it's own "thing".

Some guns shoot best with a tight patch/ball, and some shoot best with a looser (.012-.015) patch/ball.
That's one of the things that makes this hobby fun (at least to most of us). Finding that "right combination" that can drive every ball thru a 1 inch hole at 50 yards (with iron sights even) is a great way to spend some time.

Now that your getting closer to shooting, a few more words about Black Powder.
Unlike smokeless powder which will just burn rapidly if it is lit on a bench, black powder is a explosive. Don't smoke or allow others to smoke around it when it is exposed.
It is stable, and will not explode with impact (unless a spark is produced by the hammer or whatever). It is thirsty. Keep it tightly capped as it will pull the moisture out of the air and will (under extreme conditions) become difficult to fire reliably.
Pour the powder into the powder measure and recap the can. Then pour the measure's powder down the barrel.
The reason for this caution is very rarely but sometimes a glowing ember will be lurking down in the barrel. If it is and you dump in the new powder charge it will ignite. You really don't want a uncapped bomb sitting there next to you because some of the fireworks sparks may find their way into the can. That can ruin your whole day as well as your good pants.
Have fun!!

And another approach to range shooting that I've found to be convenient is to use 35mm film cannisters to hold pre-measured charges.

Pick up a few dozen empty 35mm film cannisters at any photo developing place for free, and in the controlled setting of your house or garage, pre-measure the charges into the film cannisters all at one setting before going to the range.

Then seal them up inside large, labeled ziploc bags...I usually keep a few bags prepared containing a few different charges (ie: 50,60,70grns) then store them inside a sealed GI ammo can.

For me, it's simpler, faster, safer...less things laid out on the bench, less things in the way, everything stays sealed until the moment you pop the lid off a cannister and pour the charge down the bore...

Another thing about those patches. You might need to experiment with different types/thicknesses. When I first got my flintlock, I started out with .440 balls and .018" pillow ticking patches pre-lubed with Bore Butter. Pillow ticking is pretty stiff material, and this combination was very tight and difficult to load, even with a clean bore. I tried some Wonder Patches from Ox-Yoke. They aren't pillow ticking, but a tight-weave 100% cotton patch (available dry or pre-lubed with Wonder Lube, same stuff as Bore Butter) that's softer than pillow ticking. I also got them thinner at .010". Now it's easier to load but still accurate. They're available in calibers .30-.70, in thicknesses .005", .010". .015", and .020". Pillow ticking patches are also available in different thicknesses.

The point is that you might need to experiment with different load combinations (ball size/patch thickness/patch type/lube type) to find the combination that gives you the best accuracy without being too difficult to load. This is especially important if you're going to be hunting, when you'll want accuracy, but you also don't want it to be too difficult to load, in case you need to make a quick follow-up shot. But this experimenting is part of the fun of 'learning' a new rifle.

(I know of some guys that cut patches out of old bed sheets!)

http://oxyoke.com/index.html

Hey norSSman....

After my initial reply I've been following this post because it's been interesting, as most of them are on this board. I've never failed to learn something from reading the advice offered to a newcomer.....and I've been at this since '76. That's 1976.....I ain't that old!!!! Anyway, I'd say you have plenty of great information to go out there and start burning some charcoal!! You'll find what works best for you the same as all of us did. Everything I read was spot on.....now it's up to you to apply what you read and make your decision on what you like best. Let us know where you end up and what you learn.....for now.....because it will change over time as your experience broadens. It's a great sport and a great place to be and as with any sport of that caliber, the learning never ends. That's part of what makes it so great. Good luck to you my friend.

Vic

Back