• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jukar ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donny

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Help...Any olde timers can identify a mil. style rifle that has been in my Dad's barn , I guess since the 1960's. Various Family stored mucho stuff in there and forgot what it was, didn't care, died, etc. Reproduction I am certain, no markings, very light weight, Percussion with metal ramrod, and barrel bands and slings, typical Mil. S side plate, lock is &about 6" long missing. Just a wall hanger but I am curious what it was. Camera broke, Pics if I can get the Missus tablet to take some and transfer here.

Did you remove the barrel and look at the underside for proof marks? If it was foreign made, or an old military gun, it should have some kind of proof markings, I would think. It could be one of those foreign guns that was imported in pieces, as that may have allowed them to forego the proof marks, though.

It does look like someone valued the lock more than the rest of the gun, or else they took it off and either sent it away for repair or lost track of it somehow.

Old & Rusty...More scrubbing revealed Belgian proof marks (since 1968 )
1) Black Powder
2)optional provisional proof

.58 Cal, 30" light weight bbl.

No, it is not a Zouave.

The barrel protrudes much to far ahead of the stock and the forward nosecap is totally wrong for even a poor attempt to be a Remington Zouave.

I'm moving this topic to Firearms Identification because this is appearently an actual pre-1865 gun.

That looks like one of those Belgian African Trade muskets imported by Stoeger and others in the 60s and 70s.

You are probably correct. Years of rust, bad stamping, tool marks, tiny marks, etc make reading difficult. But definitely Belgian proof marks.
Buttplate Mil. markings;

69 R.

3. 112

I see no evidence of a rear sight. Is it smooth bored? Approximately what is the bore diameter? What is the barrel diameter at the muzzle and just in front of the bolster? (I am wondering if it is tapered and if so, how much?) I once had a 14 gauge flint shotgun with the barrel made from hydraulic tubing. No taper. It never burst however. The nipple looks like a regular rifle nipple, not a musket nipple. Is this correct?

No rear sight, or evidence of one.
Smoothbore .58 bore

bbl. .90 at bolster tapered to .732
Spirals in the bore suggest tubing ? ?

My guess, is that it is just some very early reproduction or decorative all hanger. I have one of those cheap imported Amazon Indian smoothbores. The barrel bands are just thin brass strips wrapped around the barrel and stock, uses top hat musket caps and the tiny patch box is just nailed on with small nails.

Rick :idunno:

I am with 54 cal. I remember them in the old stoger catolge. listed as African tradeguns. had 4 models and I don't remember the calibers. they were dirt cheap

Latest posts

Back